+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Memorizing the fretboard

1. Default

Another method:

My guitarist friend taught me this, and seems to help me.

1. learn natural notes first . . . forget about sharps and flats because once you know the naturals, the sharps / flats are between them

2. learn one note for all 6 strings up to the 12th fret, because after 12th it repeats

3. order of learning is C B D F E G A, you can spend a few minutes out of your practice session on a note.

4. Learn all the C's for each string.

5. Once you learn all the C's then the B's because B is half step (one fret) below all the C's. If you know where C is, you know where B is.

6. Then learn D's. D's are whole steps (2 frets) higher than a C. Since you know where all the C's are, count 2 frets higher and you got D's.

7. The process repeats, for next set, F E G. To learn F E G start out with all the F's on each string within the 12 frets. First F on all strings, then E (one step below), then G (two steps higher from F).

8. A is the last, as it falls between B and G. Since you know where both is, you can find A easily. A caveat, usually most people find it easier just to count two frets up from G and call it day, but others may simply find it easier to count down from the B's.

9. Note this can be done in a few week span, spending several minutes a day to learn a new note. Once you know where all the notes are you can simply find out the flats / sharps by finding out the natural and going one-half step (fret) below. Some like B to C or E to F etc. the naturals are half steps
    Last edited by hiro; 02-06-2012 at 08:31 PM.

Thanks, hiro! Glad to have you with us!

- low life -

thanks for posting this! the order of learning is something i hadnt heard before but it makes sense!

Nawwww...that won't work, Hiro. Way too easy, way too sensible thank you for this!!!
    Peavey Milestone Bass
    Ibanez SR 500 Bass

Thanks Hiro, this makes sense to me too. I already have C and B burned in, and am starting in on D.

For the open strings, the one I heard for guitar was: Eddie Ate Dynamite, Good Bye Eddie

I guess for bass it could be: Eddie Ate Dynamite - Gulp

The old brain does seem to get quicker, the more we push it, though..

Hi Everybody, I'm Horace and this is my 1st post. I'm on lesson one and struggling with memorizing the fretboard just like most everybody else. I found "Eddie Ate Dynamite-Gulp!" Kind of funny. I use "Every Angry Dog Growls." I guess whatever works huh. Glad to be here and at 47 yrs old I'm glad to be finally learning to play the bass. BTW I know it's corny, but my 5 string SX is named T-Storm!

Soon To Be Bringing The Thunder!
    Horace

Welcome, Horace!! Keep at the fretboard!! Check RESOURCES for more help.

- low life -

Welcome, Horace. Good luck with your lessons!!!
    Always remember to enjoy where you're at on the way to where you're going!!!

+ Reply to Thread