Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4 or 5 Strings?

Well, in my opinion if you are not reeeeally good is not necessary to have more than 4 strings... and even if you are 4 strings is mainly the best option (i.e. most professional bass players uses 4 strings like Victor Wooten, Stanley Clarke, Marcus Miller, etc).

Of course, the 5 and 6 strings have their advantages but if you are not really good, as I said, what you will do is just play in a more confortable way because you will have "more notes" toguether.

I had a Warwick 6 strings Thumb Bass neck thru and I sold it with the Warwick Thumb Bass 4 string because I wanted the "bass of my life". I had some conversations with Jerzey Drozd (the famous luthier) and when I said him that I was in doubt about 4 or 5 strings he made me this reflection: "Are you a professional bass player o a high level one?, If not, go for the 4 strings".

I'm very grateful to him because the 5 string is more expensive than the 4 and is his bussiness... so he takes care of his customers first, money in second place...

Of course, I'm not opposite to 5 or 6 strings. If one day I'm good enought to make the most of this kind of bass I will buy one again
    Last edited by Carlos; 12-06-2011 at 02:33 PM.
    After 10 years here I go again!
    - Fender Jazz Bass
    - Waiting for my Jerzy Drozd Signature

2. Default

As soon as I heard that low B I knew I had to have a 5-string, but I'm finding it pretty hard to play a stringed instrument whose top string isn't an E string. But I'm working on it.

My vote is for both. Get one of each if you are able.
    ::: Shane
    ::: Mukluk! Gazeebo!

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    As soon as I heard that low B I knew I had to have a 5-string, but I'm finding it pretty hard to play a stringed instrument whose top string isn't an E string. But I'm working on it.

My vote is for both. Get one of each if you are able.
    You'll get used to it!! And you won't be able to live without a five string!! And then you'll play a 4 and it feels weird.

Line6bassman
    GO LOW!!!STAY HIGH!!!ON BASS THAT IS!!!

I don't believe that you have to be a pro to play 5 or 6 strings. With practice the added strings just become part of the platform upon which you play - chording becomes a bit more manageable and the high and/or low strings just give you more places from which to choose to play notes.

I find I keep reaching for non existent strings when I play my Fender Precision. There is just too much versatility with the extra strings on the 5 and 6 stringers.

Then there is that low "B".

I actually use the low D more than the B and the fact that it sits there, right under the G makes it very, very handy.