Thread: Using Open Strings

Default Using Open Strings

Bill Harrison, a double bass instructor out of Chicago, has produced instructional videos on chord formations (major, minor, 7ths and triads), rotating through all 12 notes. The videos are available on YouTube. Mr. Harrison uses open strings to build his chords whilst the TMBG "Chord Notes For Bass Guitar" suggests fretted notes exclusively.

Regardless of technique, the notes are all the same...but is there an advantage to studying (using) one chord formation technique over another? For fretless players there is the intonation advantage of using open strings, but other than that, what's your (TR's) opinion of learning one over the other...or both?

Thank you,

Greg

Personally, I use both open and fretted notes. Open strings help facilitate smooth position changes and conversely allow you to avoid changing positions just to grab one note. I think I read somewhere that double bassists (and those who started on double bass) tend to use open strings more than electric bassists.

I almost OD'd on Bill's youtube videos last summer. I especially liked "Walking Bass Lines: Rhythm Changes" linked below. The man really knows how to teach (and he's pretty good at application too).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=693zGPGhpjc

I think ANYTHING that gives you a new tool in your arsenal should be learned.

Nice vids, too!!!

- low life -