Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GETTING THE WORD OUT

Default Article: GETTING THE WORD OUT

This is probably not exactly what you're looking for, but it's something that struck me very noticeably when I first saw it. It's not so much an idea of what to DO, but maybe what NOT to do.

When kids/young adults surf the net and come across the TMBG site, they see something on the bottom left of the page that might turn them off. It might turn older adults off, too...but I'm trying to focus on the school/college thing.

It's the advertising slogan that says “Put Down the Toys and Play.” I’ve always thought this was a bit snobby, and directed toward people who play Rockband or Guitar Hero.

I play Rockband and don’t consider it a “toy.” LOL...yes requires a plastic bass, but it’s not (in my eyes anyway) a toy. I see it as more of an instrument simulator. It draws people to the "stage" and the music they love, and creates in them a drive that we should always encourage.

TMBG should avoid words that might be perceived as condescending. I guarantee you that players of these musical games take their skills very seriously.

Respect that.

You’d be surprised how many people who take up the bass guitar are Rockband graduates. On that note, we need a slogan with a more encouraging feel.

Maybe something along these lines:

Do You Play Expert Bass in Rockband? Are You Ready For The Next Step?

Instead of downplaying what they do, appeal to their love of the instrument. Remind them that there is a next step!

When I was hunting for a bass course online, that simple slogan on the TMBG page gave me brief pause about whether or not this course was the one I wanted. I'm a very serious stickler for details and mood and atmosphere and all that karma stuff, and there was a hitch of hesitation when I saw that phrase.

Obviously I got past it, but the point is that nothing about the website should suggest disrespect.

It's all about encouragement!
    Last edited by Elmeaux; 07-11-2011 at 01:35 PM.

Good insight Elmeaux,

I agree.

While I've not found a lot of skills from Rockband that transfer directly to actually playing the bass, those who have expressed an interest in the bass via Rockband are obviously one step closer to actually picking up up a bass and learning it, than the vast, "unwashed" public.

Quote Originally Posted by TobiasMan View Post
    Good insight Elmeaux,

I agree.

While I've not found a lot of skills from Rockband that transfer directly to actually playing the bass, those who have expressed an interest in the bass via Rockband are obviously one step closer to actually picking up up a bass and learning it, than the vast, "unwashed" public.

It's a vast group of "would be" musicians. As a player of Rockband, I have conversations with these folks all the time on the internet.

The younger folks, who are not yet playing real basses, do NOT appreciate it when musicians berate them for their love of the game.

What they need is support.

FYI, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, and George Harrison's son, Dhani, all participated in great depth with the development of the Beatles Rockband game. If you've ever seen McCartney's various interviews on the subject, he says the games are fun, and a great way to lead you into the real instruments. Obviously, he has a vested interest in sales, but he is supportive of people who might be on the fence about moving from the game to the real thing.

TMBG needs to be there for them when they are thinking about it.

BTW...Rockband holds competition events all over the USA - at schools, bars, malls, etc.

If TMBG had a presence at these events (LOL...without the current slogan) - in the form of posters or website ads - I'm sure it could generate some sales. It's just a matter of finding out where these events are in your area and getting one or two posters up.

http://www.rockband.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8

Last edited by Elmeaux; 07-12-2011 at 09:32 AM.

- low life -

Disclaimer: I love the RockBand and music related games, and think they serve a purpose to plant seeds. Some will decide they like and want something more than RockBand and will pursue it, and others will be content to stick to the game(s). I see nothing but positives for that. With that being said here's what I wanted to say:

In my opinion, it's a sad reality that the current state of society is more "fast food" and "somethin' for nothin" and your "chicks for free" to mangle the Dire Straits line.

Personally, I like the concept of leaving the kiddie pool and come play in the deep end with the adults, but I can see how that might not fly with some folks. My brother is a professor on the faculty of a top Research University in the business school and has a much better understanding of this than I ever will. But the common mistake is trying to please everybody instead of understanding your target audience.

Personally, I have merely been praising the program to everyone as a top quality learning tool, with the expectation that perhaps a seed will take root somewhere and grow into another student for TMBG.

I don't believe anyone would say that the TMBG product is cheap, but it is an incredible value. My point being that it's not "Bass Guitar for Dummies" that you can buy in paperback at Target for $17.95. In my humble opinion, TMBG works because you need to have a serious desire to learn and are willing to put in the work to attain a level of proficiency so that you can actually enjoy playing bass.

When you are ready to learn the "art" of playing bass, you will either study privately at $50-$100 per hour or invest in TMBG for a whole lot less. My opinion is that the only real difference is that with private lessons your teacher observes/corrects your mistakes and chastises you when you don't practice sufficiently. I will take TMBG any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I usually beat myself up more than anyone else could anyway LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Elmeaux View Post

BTW...Rockband holds competition events all over the USA - at schools, bars, malls, etc.

If TMBG had a presence at these events (LOL...without the current slogan) - in the form of posters or website ads - I'm sure it could generate some sales. It's just a matter of finding out where these events are in your area and getting one or two posters up.

I agree wholeheartedly. They need support and encouragement. I think it helps them identify if they have enough to develop their Bass Mojo.

Just my opinion

Rick

Cool its all good

Iam lover of all music have been all of my life,and i guess i have always been a student of music one way or another, just by wanting to know who dose that song or who plays that bass or sax or guitar.and so on.so if any one plays rock band or what ever . the are still involving there self in music and that is a good thing . iam a 55yr old man and i sill play air guitar more of bass air guitar. still some lead some air drums air horns what ever. some times it gives you just that one moment in time. some times i think we all take our self way to serious. life is to short for us not to have fun with our music . Our loved ones and friends LIFE is TO SHORT AND TOMORROW PROMISED TO NO ONE. Enjoy life family and friends music and play bass it is all good
    Let's Play Bass!

Quote Originally Posted by Elmeaux View Post
    Maybe something along these lines:

Do You Play Expert Bass in Rockband? Are You Ready For The Next Step?

You've played bass in Rockband. Now learn to Play Bass in a real Rock Band.

Exactly!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    You've played bass in Rockband. Now learn to Play Bass in a real Rock Band.
    and feel the thunder .
    Let's Play Bass!