Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Profile Pictures vs. Avatars

Quote Originally Posted by TLDTR View Post
    My apologies. I don't mean to be flippant in my response to questions. Fact is, our Tech Master Guru is on holiday and, being just a simple scribe, I would have to push buttons and things I'm not authorized to do. That said, I notice both Elmeaux and SilverFlame have avatars, could you veterans explain the process for Karle (and me as well!)?

Your help is greatly appreciated!
    Ed.
    I just went to SETTINGS at the top of the page, and then to EDIT PROFILE PICTURE which appears along the left side of the screen. I uploaded the pic I wanted, and Bob's your uncle.

Tucson, AZ- Avatar on the Continental Divide adjacent to the Acoma Pueblo Res

Default Ralphs

Okay SilverFlame46,
    I think we all have Ralphs.
    You’re right. You’ve just got a profile pic like me. I believe what slejhamer was referring to and me is pretty much what you are describing, although an avatar doesn’t necessarily have to have motion to qualify under internet lingo.

I swear just two days ago a function existed under our settings menu for avatars, but it wouldn’t work. Simply had a button selected that stated something like “No Avatars Available”, and it could not be changed. No other options. In fact, while I was toying with this, I inadvertently clicked to see who was on line and it showed me in process of modifying avatar. I can no longer find this function, although a checkbox to show avatars still exists in the forum settings and private email contacts.

Must be Ralph or Heathcliff messing with us!

Ken

Mine works, na nan nanna na!

I dont have a clue how I did it!

Default Dreamin

I had a dream...a visitation from Ralph...! Ralph say, "enough fretting over unimportant avatar. Go fret over bass...practice!"

Nananana hey hey goodby! (Or is that "oh my" or is it "oh why"?)

Yours Truly (That's like amen man.)
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by kenkarle View Post
    although a checkbox to show avatars still exists in the forum settings
    Curious, innit?

Ain't no avatars in this forum, Ed. Them's "profile pics" you're talking about.

Thus, my original post, still unanswered.
    "Everybody got to elevate from the norm!"

Sparkly Blue Sterling by MusicMan with TI Jazz Flats
    30" Shell Pink Jaz-O-Lounger with Rotosound Tapewounds
    Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0 Head
    Gallien Krueger 112 Neo II Cab

Default Avatars Shmavatars

Right now we've got to figure out how to allow you guys to upload mP3 files. As for gesticulating avatars - that's somewhere down the list...but we'll get to it.
    Thanks for your patience,
    Ed

Tickling avatars in gest…? Hmmn…! How about it Elmeaux?

Quote Originally Posted by kenkarle View Post
    Tickling avatars in gest…? Hmmn…! How about it Elmeaux?
    It's why I'm always smiling.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
    Mine works, na nan nanna na!

I dont have a clue how I did it!
    Well I'm kinda late to the party but better late then never

As I understand nobody here has an avatar (except Roy and Ralph).

The way these forums work (I have some experience with vBulletin but mostly with the 3.x version not the newer 4.0) but it's basically like this :

Profile picture : You "normally" set a picture of yourself there. And this is NOT shown in the forums, but on your profile page.

Avatar ; This is a photo or image (mostly 80x80 or 120x120) that is posted above your forum name, so if it's set it's viewable in every post you make (like Roy and Ralph).

The Avatar is usefull to quickly identify a member, for example you instantly see it when Roy has posted because you see his face

Now to allow the use of an Avatar someone with "Admin" right here at the forums needs to login at the admin panel and set the option to allow Avatars since as it seems now this option is disabled.

This could be a "security" feature since you can also disallow the use of images or links in posts (or disable signatures) to stop spammers who use these options to spread their cra*

Anyway, I hope this explains a bit.

And on the subject if an avatar is needed ?
    Well I personally don't miss them here (I have it on other forums though) mainly because like I said it's easy to find a reply from Roy.

Oh, and a tip :
    If Ralph doesn't want to scale his Avatar to a more acceptable size there should be an option to automatically scale it to a max. size like 120x120 for example (that's 120 pixels x 120 pixels IIRC).
    Fender 2012 American Standard Precision Bass (Left-handed)
    Fender '59 Bassman LTD.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick View Post
    If Ralph doesn't want to scale his Avatar to a more acceptable size
    I bet Roy's moping on his porch right now, upset that Ralph's avatar is so much bigger than his own...

:::tiptoes toward exit:::

Last edited by Elmeaux; 09-04-2010 at 09:09 PM.