Thread: First Gig was Great

Default First Gig was Great

As you all might remember before the disappearing posts, my first gig went great! 36 songs and two encores later, we are being asked to book different places for upcoming dates. I am thrilled, but I need advice now from anyone who has been there before.....
    What is the best way to go about dealing with clubs and bars. Any advice from the road vets would be well appreciated.

And I will try to get video next time, but I feel weird asking someone to do it...

Later,
    AJ

Find a manager! Someone who has experience booking acts in your area. Generally he/she will get a flat percentage (10% is customary) and, if they're good, take a TREMENDOUS amount of hassle out of your musical career. If you can't find one, post a notice on the website of music stores in the region. Best of luck. Let us know how it goes!

Good luck, Lettieri. Sounds like you're on your way.

The list was lost, but I remember you saying they let you sing The Middle and I was impressed that you could sing and play that song at the same time!!

- low life -

Way to go, AJ. Congratulations!!!
    Always remember to enjoy where you're at on the way to where you're going!!!

I never even thought about a manager... is it a common thing? After one show, will I be able to find a decent one? Only one way to find out I guess =)

A good manager will take a ton of wear and tear and burden off your shoulders! If you are expecting more gigs find one. Not necessarily the first one who says, "I'll do it", but ask around, find out who's doing a good job and if they can't take you on, ask them for recommendations. Managers know who manages well!

Very cool advice everyone!! Now, to find cheap, quality business cards and put some promo packs together =) I never thought I'd be having so much fun playing Bass!!!! I have even been trusted with some Back-up vocals and a Petty song. We did manage to rebook the bar we played at for The 18th of November as well as New Years', so if you find yourselves in Northeast PA, give me a yell!!!