+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carvin B5 Bass

Default Carvin B5 Bass

I'm thinking about buying a Carvin 5-string bass. I'm thinking of the Carvin B5 bass at this point, but does anyone have any thoughts on this? I want one with active pickups. I see that Roy plays a Carvin B5 in his videos, and it appears he feels pretty good about these. I've also thought about building the kit. Has anyone done this, and if so, what was your experience like?

I have the Carvin BB75P, I'm very happy with it. So much so I ordered the same model Fretless (BB75PF). Decided after much thought on the stock pickup configuration, which did give me the tone diversity I was hoping for. I can dial in lots if different tones.

It has the wide 3" neck 19 mm string spacing, and the asymmetrical neck which feels great. The whole bass is perfectly balanced. It has full specs on the Carvin site, plus video of Bunny Brunel bragging about his bass. The video of CAB (Bunny's Band) playing with Steve Vai has Bunny playing the Fretless model.

There are also other videos of other artists commenting on other models. Makes for a tough decision.

I'm happy with my Carvin.

Specs
    http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog...php?model=bb75

Bunny's Video
    http://www.carvinchannel.com/play.php?vid=116

CAB with Steve Vai
    http://www.carvinchannel.com/play.php?vid=89
    Last edited by Bass4Gsus; 07-22-2010 at 11:58 AM.
    Ray
    Bass4Gsus
    View my pictures at www.pbase.com/rjkpics

Default Thanks!

Appreciate the feedback. I'm really thinking of getting one that is already built versus building my own.

In the video I'm using a totally stock, passive B4. It is a great sounding, simple bass. A B5 would probably be great as well. I primarily use their neck thoughs (Icon, and LB76s monstly) although I have a new Sekou Bunch SB5000 5 string that's THE BOMB!

Smile Carvin B5 Bass

Thanks Roy for the info. I just signed up today for TMBG and I am jazzed about getting started! I currently have a Squire 4-string Jazz Bass that I have modified somewhat by installing a Schaler bridge and replacement Fender tuning machines. Since the bridge was set up for strings through the body, I went ahead and drilled the holes and installed ferrules. It's really nice now (better sustain) and it's the one I play in our worship band. I recently inherited a Fender Precision Bass from my late father-in-law and play that as well. Now I want to be able to play both of them better!

As far as getting a Carvin goes, I will probably go with a 5-string active setup, most likely a B5.

Default Realistic Ambitions...

Just don't expect to play them both at once!
    Ed.

Im thinking group Carvin buy sponsered by Roy and crew?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
    Im thinking group Carvin buy sponsered by Roy and crew?
    I'm thinking that I like your thinking!

Carvin generally makes nice instruments and I have seen/played some very nice Carvin basses. However, I have had bad experiences however with their amp/speaker gear.

We had a pair of large PA type Carvin speakers (15" drivers with a large metal horn at the top) that sounded like mud. I took them in to have them looked at and the tech in the shop said that when the Carvin catalogue arrived, he opened it to the place where the instruments ended and the electronics started. He then tore it apart there, tossed the electronics part and kept the instrument portion.

I have the Carvin 1000w Redline stack, 1000w biamp, 4x10, 1x15. Just picked up a BRX10.2Neo. I am very happy with my Carvin gear. I got the down-looks and comments before playing, and then great reviews on the Carvin tone I get.

We use Carvin gear at Church too, and everyone who uses it is happy, including an electrical engineer

No company or product is perfect all the time, but I have no hesitation buying from Carvin.
    Ray
    Bass4Gsus
    View my pictures at www.pbase.com/rjkpics

+ Reply to Thread