+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carvin B5 Bass

Tucson, AZ- Avatar on the Continental Divide adjacent to the Acoma Pueblo Res

Default Swamp Ash Body?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    In the video I'm using a totally stock, passive B4. It is a great sounding, simple bass. A B5 would probably be great as well. I primarily use their neck thoughs (Icon, and LB76s monstly) although I have a new Sekou Bunch SB5000 5 string that's THE BOMB!
    Glad to hear that the SB5000 is the bomb! What wood is your SB5000? I'm getting ready to purchase one, but am totally unfamilliar with this Swamp Ash body option. The wood looks great, but how does it sound? I'm a Ric man myself. Can you or anyone familiar with Swamp Ash give a comparison?

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by kenkarle View Post
    . Can you or anyone familiar with Swamp Ash give a comparison?

Ken
    It is ash that was harvested from the swamp, I was told it was more porous and therefore lighter, also better sustain.

My BB75P is swamp ash. It does have great sustain, but the 18v active electronics, and alnico humbuckers may have something to do with that also. Since I have the piezo bridge pickups, I was picky about the wood.

Hope that helps.
    Ray
    Bass4Gsus
    View my pictures at www.pbase.com/rjkpics

Better sustain? Really...that is one of the areas I was concerned about.

Thanky,
    Ken

Just an afterthought addition to my last post: Does Swamp Ash growiilll..?

Quote Originally Posted by kenkarle View Post
    Just an afterthought addition to my last post: Does Swamp Ash growiilll..?
    The BB75P with swamp ash body has great sustain, really noticed it today. Growill, l I would think would comes more from the pickups, and with the stack humbucker at the neck and the big double alnico humbucker at the bridge with the 18V preamp, there is no lack of growl if you want it. And you have a real clean warm tone too. Very versatile.

I used to dial in some tube on the amp , but lately not so much. Dialing in some tube would add to the growl too.

MY 4 string Ergodyne Ibenez was made of luthite, not wood. It was a composite material, and it was light, but the main benefit to me was the sustain. They make it now from wood, and it just isn't the same.

I don't know the wood on my P Bass clone, but it lacks sustain.

There are so many things which have an impact, it's hard to really be definite. Also in the total sound mix in a band, subtle sounds are difficult to notice.
    Ray
    Bass4Gsus
    View my pictures at www.pbase.com/rjkpics

I have the Swamp Ash option. The normal wood is Alder-it has a little less midrange but it lighter. Fender uses this wood in their basses

Default Carvin SB5000

So...basically, if I read your response correct, the Fender's are made of Alder (I have always heard this) and your Carvin has a swamp ash body? My desires for the Carvin I wish to purchase (SB5000 maybe...) are that it be made of swamp ash as well. Do you have any thoughts on the Peavey Cirrus 5-string one way or another? I think I want an extended scale bass because I want the "B" string to be really punchy.

I have a Carvin XB75, which I am happy with, I used to play Dean basses in my past, but Carvin got me hooked! I have also ordered an IC6 & a SB4000 which I am looking forward to getting.

I also use Carvin amps, have a BX500 at home, and use BX1500 when rehearsing with band & gigs.

I'd say I recommend Carvin. On the active basses, u can also pick passive if u wish, so u have 2 in one, very sweet sound options on them.

Default Carvin Amplification

Neeraj,

Said you use Carvin amps, but didn't say you liked them. Unlike Carvin instruments, I have not heard any good word about Carvin amplification. Would you please offer your opinion?

I think their electronics have improved over the last number of years, but I so remember a "long in the tooth" bassman telling me that if I found a Carvin catalogue, to find the dividing page between the basses and the amps, tear it apart there and throw the amps part away because that was the good part.

I know we had some quite old Carvin PA system cabs (15" speakers with a large metal horn that occupied that top 1/4 of the cab) and they were basically impossible to use. The horns totally overpowered the speakers and if you cranked up the bass EQ to try to match the horns it turned to mud and if you turned down highs to the horn to match the speaker there was mud.

Haven't used any Carvin electronics for a long time and I do hope they've improved!!!

+ Reply to Thread