Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Gospel Bass players thread.

Default The Gospel Bass players thread.

I thought I would start this thread because like myself I know there are some here that spend their time on Sunday are
    what ever day it might be doing the church gig thing. ( The paid and unpaid ones ) And there are some super good are should I say great bass players in the gospel, contemporary church song bass players that inspired us when we first started playing are still do. Myself I've been the full time bass player in my church now for going on close to 9 to 10 years and also some other churches since the middle 80's. You don't have to say anything else but as to who may have inspired you in this area and just so we can see some of the greats in this type of music. And also maybe some of the not so known bass players but great all the same.

First the well known bass player that first influenced me the most in the beginning and then a lesser known in this area. First and most to influence me was this man! What a Wonderful person!!

See the 2nd part of this interview at http://www.bassfrontiersmag.com/abra...ideo-interview
    GO LOW!!!STAY HIGH!!!ON BASS THAT IS!!!

King of the Groove

East St. Louis’s veteran bass player, John King, took time with Gospel basslines to share from his wisdom and experience. Immediately I felt a connection with John, he is a great guy, and an exceptional bassist.�

Gospelbasslines: How long have you been playing bass guitar?

John King: About 25 plus years, since the age of 11 or 12.

Gospelbasslines: How long professionally? What made you know your were ready to step into the professional arena as a bassist?

John King: At the age of 15 I was introduced to playing professionally in high school. Then I had the opportunity of performing with my high school band directors band Images & Infiniti. So I never really weighed whether or not I was ready to play professionally or not. I was given an opportunity and I accepted it, I embraced it, and learned much from it.

Gospelbasslines: Lot’s of bass players gradually make their way to bass guitar, did you play any instruments prior?

John King: First, I was introduced to the piano. I had brief affair with the trumpet. I had a serious relationship with drums. And then I met the bass guitar, that’s where my focus has been since..

Gospelbasslines: Who has influenced your playing style the most? Why?

John King: I have had numerous of influences, making this a hard question to answer. However, I would say early on it was definitely Stanley Clark. Stanley was doing it all, great upright chops and crazy electric bass skills.

Gospelbasslines: Can you remember any particular concept or element of playing that gave you problems in your maturation process?

John King: Many. I have struggled with how to improve a technique, play a little faster, smoother, cleaner and or etc. Grant it, some problems I had then are not a problem today but in some ways, are issues that I continue to improve upon today. So with every obstacle, concept or element I conquered there’s maintenance and yet another hurdle or obstacle. What I’m getting at is, being a better or a great musician, I think, is a life long maturation process, where with every concept or element conquered there is still work to be done.

Gospelbasslines: Was there ever a time, you wanted to give up?

John King: Sure, there have been times when I wanted to throw in the towel and there will probably be others. But I’m glad to say, I’m yet holding on.

Gospelbasslines: Are there any technical aspects, or exercises you can give to those starting out, that are tangible enough to help them grow as a musician?

John King: Play with all of your fingers on the fret board. Always alternate fingers in the right. Be sure not to hold the bass with your left hand when playing. Find a comfortable position for holding your bass when going from finger to slap style. Expose you ear to as much music as possible. Listen and practice.

Gospelbasslines: Have you had any, Southwestern Airlines, “Wanna Get-away” Moments, as a musician?

John King: I’ve had other get-away moments but this one is the standout. I had a fall off stage during a performance. Fortunately, I was all good. Even though a lot of people saw me fall including the drummer, no one else in the band knew I had fallen. I was behind the other players and I never stopped playing. I was down but not out. I didn’t worry about getting up, I just continued to play and one by one my band mates noticed I wasn’t there, and when they did, all they saw was the bottom of my left foot still on the stage. Could have been worse.

Gospelbasslines: What gear do you own?

John King: Ken Smith 5 string, a pair of Auilar 12″ cabs and an Eden World Traveler Amp.

Gospelbasslines: What has been most beneficial to your growth as a bass player?

John King: First, a great family of musicians and lovers of music. To that I will add … being blessed to have been around some of our areas best. Which allowed me to grow musically in an atmosphere of respect, appreciation and understanding of what power and influence music has and is. This didn’t mean I always got to play but it gave me the privilege of participating form the inside. You knowï¾…up close right in the heart of the action where I was humbled and learned to humble myself to the schooling I was being exposed to.

Gospelbasslines: If you were stranded on a dessert island, and could have 1 song, what would that song be and why?

John King: A Word Form The Lord by Thomas Whitfield.

Gospelbasslines: Has God given you any vision or direction on what he wants you to do as a musician?

John King: Share and be a better example…with I’m sure more to come.

Gospelbasslines: Let us know what’s coming up for John King

John King: There’s nothing major I would like to pub right now. However, I would like to thank you for this opportunity and also thank James Ross for introducing us. Be sure to check out my group Good 4 The Soul at www.good4thesoul.net & www.myspace.com/g4ts. You can also check out my personal page at www.myspace.com/johnpking, my artist page www.myspace.com/johnpking1 and my Fanreach at www.reverbnation.com/johnking.

Shawn, thanks again for allowing me this opportunity. I really appreciate it and look forward to staying up. I have also included a banner code that I would like to add following the interview that will direct people to my reverbnation site where I will posting my music. If you have any problems with it you can also get it directly from my Reverbnation site.

Share and Enjoy:

Andrew Gouche

Line6bassman

Norm Stockton

I'm not a church goer, but I always fall for church music.

- low life -

Gospel Music has always been one of my favorites!!!
    Always remember to enjoy where you're at on the way to where you're going!!!

Some of my favs there as well, including both Abe and Norm.
    Both are amazing bass players.

I have been in instructional sessions with Norm a couple of times over the past few years. I talked to him about his signature MTD bass when I was looking for my fretless. He is going to be at our Breakforth Conference this coming January, where I'm looking forward to attending another of his intensive, all day bass workshops. I am pumped about that!
    A couple of years ago I watched him trade licks, note for note, with a well known metal guitard (but, not being into metal, I can't remember his name ) and Carl Albrecht (an amazing drummer). I don't think there was anything that the guitard threw at him that he didn't respond in kind. It was amazing to watch the guitard's face as the evening wore on.

I have Norm's multiple DVD, bass lessons tutorial series. They would be fine reference material for a bassist looking for advanced material, but they are not the same, measured instructional material that Roy has produced in TMBG.
    Last edited by TobiasMan; 12-19-2011 at 11:12 PM.

I like that very much. gospel music always makes you feel like home. i love it i find most of it. soothing. I enjoyed the interview very much all so.Thank you very much .line6bassman. always great stuff from you and i for one love your stuff. I WISH to say to you and yours a very MARRY CHRISTMAS.and a HAPPY NEW YEAR and GOD BLESS YAL.
    Let's Play Bass!

Astounding musicianship! Excellent interviews!

Quote Originally Posted by DONNIE B View Post
    I WISH to say to you and yours a very MARRY CHRISTMAS.and a HAPPY NEW YEAR and GOD BLESS YAL.
    Thanks!! And may you and yours and all my wonderful bass friends here on Thunder Row have a safe and Blessed holiday in how ever
    you may celebrate this time of year!!!

Line6bassman