Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Gospel Bass players thread.

Quote Originally Posted by TobiasMan View Post
    Some of my favs there as well, including both Abe and Norm.
    Both are amazing bass players.

I have been in instructional sessions with Norm a couple of times over the past few years. I talked to him about his signature MTD bass when I was looking for my fretless. He is going to be at our Breakforth Conference this coming January, where I'm looking forward to attending another of his intensive, all day bass workshops. I am pumped about that!
    A couple of years ago I watched him trade licks, note for note, with a well known metal guitard (but, not being into metal, I can't remember his name ) and Carl Albrecht (an amazing drummer). I don't think there was anything that the guitard threw at him that he didn't respond in kind. It was amazing to watch the guitard's face as the evening wore on.

I have Norm's multiple DVD, bass lessons tutorial series. They would be fine reference material for a bassist looking for advanced material, but they are not the same measured instructional material that Roy has produced in TMBG.
    Yes I remember you saying you went to a couple of his sessions ( Norm ) Yes I've been to a couple of his workshops also but he doesn't seem to get down my way to often. Wish I was able to make it to the one your going too you know like financially able HE!!HE!!.

Line6bassman
    GO LOW!!!STAY HIGH!!!ON BASS THAT IS!!!

Southern gospel quartet stuff is where I got my start playing bass. Back in '81. Gads, we played so many churches for a few years there all over Kentucky, where I lived at the time. Usually me, a piano, sometimes a guitar, and the four singers. Talk about learning how to fill space with only two or three instruments and no drums. I wouldn't trade those years for anything.

Fred Hammond

Jay Hungerford

Man!!! This guy I wish I could find 100,000 videos on this guy, but can't, this guy when I first heard him from Grace Outreach Church in Missouri made me go buy all the walking bass line books I could find!!!! I love this guy!!

You need to go to his myspace for this one!! Soon as I can change the file type I'll put it up.

Line6bassman

http://www.myspace.com/video/jay-hun...erger/27411608

Default Sean Byrd

Sean Byrd from http://www.gospelbasslines.com/

Line6bassman

Amazing Grace - Very Tasty!!!!

Default Sharay Reed.

Today's featured Gospel bass player and all around great bass player is Sharey Reed!!! Also a lesson on the song
    Thank You.

PS. On the book he promotes in the video I don't promote it in any way and know nothing about it.

Line6bassmanTR

These are the lessons on the Song Thank You.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK3M4...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKm2w...hannel&list=UL
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ogl3...feature=relmfu
    Last edited by line6bassman; 11-24-2012 at 10:41 AM.

Nice clips, L6b! He's as smooth as smooth can be.

I heard this song on the radio one day and discovered that it was Sharay Reed playing bass...very, very busy bass line, but he didn't play one note too many, imho!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HOBumgvMd0

Default Terrance Palmer - Israel Houghton and New Breed

OK, this section has been quite for awhile so lets see if I can pick it up a little bit for you.
    I've been working on are trying to work on a couple of songs you might say the right way and discovered a new
    pretty cool bass player in the Gospel, Contemporary Christian field of music by the name of Terrance Palmer.
    A pretty smooth great playing bass player I would say! Me and this guy are so much like each other its scary.
    I'm not talking about in playing bass but in the way we believe how peoples attitude should be within the group (band)
    You can check out his interview below for more on that. Another pretty cool thing I've discovered along the way with
    songs like this is, and I have not tried this yet but if you could see the bass players hands and you played along with
    him the same exact notes you might just find out that your bass just doesn't sound just right for some reason, can you guess why? Did you guess why are know why? This is what I've learned and was told to me, and that is because
    in gospel music are music of this type lots of bass players tune their bass too Bb tuning. So now if you ever wonder are
    you catch now why some of the bass sounds deeper are something different about it they might just be tuned to Bb.
    Hey!! I've never heard of Bb flat tuning till I started on these songs. So maybe when I can get a minute and can put my thoughts and all that I've learned on this I'll share the full details on it for those of you that have never heard of it.
    I've never heard it discussed around here that I know of. Just thought I'd share that little nugget of info with you.
    Now on to Terrance Palmer of Israel Houghton and New Breed.

Line6bassmanTR

Here's a little extra bonus for you if you dare.

PS. A Final PS on this from me, but if anyone on here reads this would anyone on here be interested in learning the song You Are Good
    by Israel Houghton and New Breed like the video above? Note for note as close as possible? Don't know actually how I would do this as of yet but maybe a series of very short videos until done. I might even just do it and then when a few are done start putting them up
    one by one. So if anyone is interested in this let me know.

Line6bassmanTR
    Last edited by line6bassman; 03-24-2013 at 09:27 PM.

Default Maurice Fitzgerald

Interview With Maurice Fitzgerald A Bass Not Played By Hands — interview by Melanie Clark —

Maurice Fitzgerald is a minister of the Gospel.
    No, he is not a pastor of a church, although some would argue that his bass playing is as thought-provoking as a sermon.
    If you are a fan of contemporary Gospel, you have heard him. If you pay even a little bit of attention to the credits on the top 10, you know him. Having cut his teeth with Dan Willis, honed his craft with John P. Kee, and perfected it with Fred Hammond, Fitzgerald is The Man when it comes to bass players for professional gigs. A great exhibition of humbleness and hard work, Fitzgerald shared with us just how he ended up thumping for a living — and it wasn’t always the bass for him.
    “I started out playing the drums at church at about twelve years old. But there was just too much competition —like a hundred drummers and one bass player. So I figured I’d just play the bass where I’d get more playing time! That’s how I really started. I started to pick up really fast, and it came pretty easy. Within a couple years time I was able to play at church.” I grew up in the Apostolic church and [at some point] I met Dan Willis. He was putting together an interracial choir. I went to the choir rehearsal and there were like 5 or 6 bass players. We practiced and traveled with the choir for awhile, then came time to do the first record. Darius Brooks was producing.”

Fitzgerald had practiced and practiced and had prepared for the recording. But when the time came, Brooks decided that Willis’ crew was not ready for the session and brought his own guys in. Fitzgerald was a little hurt, but not discouraged.

“This is the choir I had been traveling with and working so hard with, but I knew he was right. When he brought the guys in that ultimately did the record, I knew I wasn't ready. These guys had a “sound”. They were playing together and it was just awesome!” He observed the professionalism of the session musicians and took note of what he had to work on. The next year, when the time came for the next album, he was ready.

“I was practicing a whole lot and I was working toward being the best at it. I listened to a wide variety of music and it was coming so fast that I figured that was the gift the Lord was putting in me. So I just pursued it like crazy.”

He was at a gig for the second Willis record when Kee first heard him. (Both Kee and Willis were signed to Tyscot at the time.) When Kee asked him to come audition and play with him a bit, Fitzgerald took $400 earned from the Willis job to take a Greyhound to Carolina to play with the Charlotte-based choir. After touring with Kee for a number of years, many began to take notice. Pastor Kee has launched the musical careers of many musicians, validating them by including them in his always-hot band. As tremendous as this experience was for Fitzgerald, life just kept on happening.

“From the time with John, that exposed me to some other artists. At home was I gaining responsibility and [some bills] and I had to broaden my horizons and start doing more recordings. I knew I had to make myself more visible so I could do other work.”

It was at that time that God began to confirm the call that comes with the gift.
    “The turning point for me was when I started dating really heavily and started even thinking in terms of marriage. I had to look at the big picture and where I was going as a musician. I knew God gave me this gift and it had made plenty of room for me. I asked the Lord if it was going to be consistent for me to go ahead and get married and take care of a wife with this. Or, was I going to have to work for the cable company and play bass in my spare time.” “I prayed about it and came to a crossroads. I was engaged to be married and I had no regular, consistent gig, and felt like I couldn’t go ahead like that. So I asked the Lord for [clarity]. Through praying and counsel from Kevin Bond, I was really prayerful about it. And then doors opened up. He started exposing me to bigger records and doing stuff with different people and making me more visible. And I did get that confirmation from the Lord. The Lord dropped in my spirit that ‘I gave you this gift and you can definitely live off of it, trust Me.’”

“So I trusted Him, and in trusting Him, doors just started opening up.”

Lately Mo has been playing with Fred Hammond. An extraordinary bass player himself, just to be considered by Hammond, much less ultimately chosen is an honor. To provide the bottom for this bass player’s bass player is a complement that any musician would covet. “I’ve always looked up to Fred and enjoyed his ministry. Pages of Life helped me through my low point. Fred’s record meant so much to me and really ministered to me. I had no idea that a few years later I’d be in the position to be working for this guy. I love working for Fred, he’s your friend. He’s like your pastor, he ministers to his organization. I see God doing humongous things with his career and in his life.”

And things keep getting bigger and bigger for Fitzgerald. So big that artists outside the Gospel arena are calling. While to date he hasn’t done any R&B gigs, he doesn’t consider it to be out of the question. Either way, Fitzgerald knows that his personal relationship with God is what will help him make the right decisions.

“I’m trusting God to work it out. When you work at the electric company or whatever, most of the time your boss is not saved. But at the same time, particularly with music, you don’t want to just play for anybody. The secular arena can be a hostile environment, but you really have to know yourself. It all depends on your relationship with God. He’s been good to me. Ultimately I’m trusting Him wherever he takes me.”

So with a cautious but wise heart Fitzgerald moves on learning more about himself as he learns more about God.

“I grew up in the Apostolic church. There were a lot of things I couldn't do like wear shorts or go to the movies.”
    Still, with reverence and respect for the teaching, Fitzgerald learned —partially through his musical development —that there was more to it than that.

“I started to really know God for myself and to gain a clearer understanding of the Word; He clearly states that [He] deals with people’s hearts. That’s why the woman who was wiping His feet with her hair got His attention. All the sanctimonious people were standing around calling her a prostitute, but He felt her heart. She was pouring her heart out to God. None of them were worshipping Him! God deals with the heart and not with rules and regulations. Sure there are things that you know you are not supposed to be doing, but if you are really and truly saved, the Holy Ghost and your spiritual side will let you know —you’ll feel it!” t’s the pouring out our heart to Him that gets His attention, and that arguably translates in music as well. “I go to churches and hear musicians that have ability to play, but they don’t have a passion and a heart for the music or the instrument. That’s definitely something that God has to give you. It’s something that you just can’t teach anybody. Then in other churches, they sound so fantastic and they don’t play for the Fred Hammonds or John P. Kees —they're just in church serving.” Pouring out their hearts whether anyone notices or not.”

And it is usually when we are so deliberately focused on God that people notice.

“It’s so incredible to me that people notice me. I mean I’m the behind-the-scenes guy, and with all that’s going on in a song or on stage, that someone would know my name really trips me out!”