+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How Important Is The Headstock?

Default How Important Is The Headstock?

As we were going through the Zon situation in Skin DEEP, I started thinking about the headstock of a bass.

Most of you voiced that you prefer a bass with a head, rather than the headless variety.

Let's think a bit further on this topic - a couple of questions for y'all, in the category of headstock aesthetics.

When you check out basses in the store, how important to you is the SHAPE of the headstock? If the bass itself is a real looker, and you like the sound and all, would it matter if the thing had an ugly headstock, or even just something you didn't care for?

How much of your bass-liking decision is rooted in the appearance of the headstock?

AND...when it comes to basses, which ones have the most attractive headstocks, and which have the worst?

I'll throw in my two cents to start it off.

My idea of unattractive headstocks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	concorde.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	1449Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rickenbacker Midnight Blue.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	1450

The Concorde and the Rickenbacker

My idea of great headstocks:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grabber II.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	1451 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zodiac DE Scorpio.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	1452

The Grabber and the Scorpio

Of course there are many others in each category.

What are yours?

- low life -

My personal opinion is that the bass should look good overall, so yes the headstock does make a difference. One that i have never really liked is the telecaster, it just doesn't fit right.
    !!!!!!

I like a headstock.... I also like all the tuners on top. Fender and G&L are all I have. I played a Ibenez that had two on top and two on bottom and had to tune it to play it and did not like the feel of the tuners on the bottom. I know, silly, but just a prefference. I plan on getting a 5 string at some point and was going to go with a Music Man to complete my Leo Fender collection. Don't know how I am going to avoid tuners on the bottom with that.
    Nothing like a Great Bottom end!

The headstock alone probably wouldn't stop me from buying a bass that I thought was otherwise great, but the overall looks of a bass would influence whether or not I purchase it, no matter how great the bass sounds (does that make me shallow?).

I like a headstock on a guitar. There are some particularly weirdly shaped ones that just don't cut it - Elmeaux has given us a couple examples. The shape itself seems to matter less than the balance it provides to the instrument. Some headstocks are nicely shaped but just too large, while others look like a tiny afterthought. I personally prefer the look of tuners that are located on both sides of the headstock to one that tries to place all 6 tuners for a six string bass on the upper side of the headstock. I would certainly find that headstock out of proportion!

+ Reply to Thread