Thread: Urban Legend Anyone?

Default Urban Legend Anyone?

If you get to read this, Roy, a little kudos. I downloaded your album a couple of days ago and have given it good air time. I like it much. Shades of Donald Fagan in there mayhap, Caravan-ish in part and somewhat Return to Forever-esque too. I find the short bass riffs inbetween the main tracks enjoyable and something I might try as 'homework' while I'm at school with TMBG.

Anyone else given it a listen and have any views? I'm sure Roy would enjoy constructive comment.

Nice, Roy, thanks.

Kegs.

Default Urban Legend & Simplicity!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegs View Post
    Anyone else given it a listen and have any views? I'm sure Roy would enjoy constructive comment.
    I have both of Roy's Albums, Urban Legend & Simplicity. All I can say about both of them is that "They are great" and Thanks Roy for sharing your talent in both entertainment and teaching!!!
    Always remember to enjoy where you're at on the way to where you're going!!!

I have both of them.

I got the Urban Legend one from Napster to help with the Low Notes For Nashville event, and I got Simplicity from CD Baby. Both are fantastic works of art. On Urban Legend, there are these little vignettes that travel between the songs. I particularly like the interlude that joins MOJAVE to THE GABLES. Each different little riff seems to signal a sway of style and the music goes off in a different direction following each one. They all come together to make a total story of jazz styles, woven together into one solid blanket of warm, musical smoooooooooooooth.

My own personal tastes have drawn me very close to the Simplicity album. There are a few songs on Simplicity that make you stop what you're doing and turn to the speakers. The first time you hear them, you go, "Excuse me???" as you experience skill and bass depths you may not even have realised as being possible. The songs are BURNIN, CURTIS, WHERE WERE YOU? and LABYRINTH.

And one song, called FLYTE has a whiff of Jimi Hendrix' "Are You Experienced" in it. Kind of a multi-layered musical journey.

There's even a sweet little tribute song to Roy's wife on this one. You romantic fool, you.

I said it once when I first joined Thunder Row and started the lessons. There are times when Roy's playing sounds more like he's bowing a cello than using fingers on a bass. You will hear such moments on the Simplicity album.

I'm no jazz expert, or I'd have more to say about the technical achievements, etc. I just know what I like...and this is it.

Default Ghost Writer

Roy has asked me not to tell anyone that I actually wrote all the pieces on his albums...so I won't. However...
    Simulacrum Lusoris