+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bass Effects Units

Default Bass Effects Units

I realize there is quite a bit of info on TR about effects units and/or pedals, but it seems to be spread out and specific only to a particular item. So please forgive any redundancy. I'm thinking adding an effects unit if it makes sense to do so, and I'm interested in getting some opinions on:

1. Is this a worthwhile addition a bass player's kit? and
    2. If so, could you comment on specific models that you have used and like?

I've played around with a few of them at guitar center and they seem as though they would add some interesting variations in sound during a performance. On the other hand, it seems like a lot of opinions that I've read trend toward "I can get all the variation I need directly from the amp". I'm relatively new to the bass world and am curious about others' take on this.

Also, several of the multi-effects units seem to have functions that would be helpful in practicing.

Any opinions would be much appreciated. I know it's all about the desired sound and that, like opinions, cuts a wide swath, but I'm interested in hearing what you guys have to say. Thanks!

I like effects on the bass. Some people are very traditional in that they prefer only the cleanest, purest thunder, but I love tremolo and chorus pedals, octave pedal, and all manner of distortion effects.

My opinion is that all these effect tools add greatly to your bass sound and are worth investigating.

- low life -

I use effects with an electric guitar, but for a bass I prefer a clean sound. Most tonal variations on a bass come from the physical technique. You can get a lot of different tones with various picking styles, and placing the right hand in different places. Effects may get in the way of that solid round tone that helps to sonically synch with the drummer. It doesn’t mean you should never use effects. On the contrary, if you look for a specific sound an effect may be the only solution. I understand bassists use the same types of effects as guitarists do, but far fewer. Some common ones include distortion, compression, or an envelope filter. Ultimately, it’s your personal choice.
    Last edited by Basslad; 03-14-2012 at 09:43 PM.

The best advise I ever heard (and I'll pass it on now) is to get a loop pedal or station. It's not exactly an 'effect', but it will make you a better player, and hence you'll sound better in the long haul. I use a Digitech Jamman Solo and I hear Boss makes a pretty nice compact unit as well. The Jamman Solo also has 'Tap Tempo', overdub, and the ability to slow down and speed up tracks, so it's pretty versatile. I also use a number of effects on my guitar, but not on my bass rig at this time anyway. So, I just leave the looper plugged into the effects loop of my guitar amp and flip on the guitar amp/looper power and play the looper through the guitar amp even when practicing with it on my bass. I'm not sure how good the looper would sound in the effects loop of my bass amp, but I'm guessing it wouldn't sound as good as it does through the guitar amp. It would probably sound really good though, through the bass amp, if I just put some drum only tracks on it, hmmmm... I'll have to try that!
    Last edited by Muleskinnerslide; 03-15-2012 at 07:50 AM.

I guess I'm from the old skule, "if I can't play it with my fingers, it doesn't come outta my bass" thought. I have considered a few effects pedals, but I find the occasions when they would be useful in the music I play so rare, that I can't be bothered carrying them around to gigs and setting them up "in case". My preamps/amps have built in compressors so I don't need that as an additional effect and compression, when applied a lot, can change the way your bass sounds.

Still looking for something interesting though and if something particularly useful comes along I may just pick something up.

6. Default

Part Two:

I've been thinking about this topic some more and here's how I look at pedals in general. I'm gonna use my guitar rig as my example, because that's what I use them for...

First, is the Infrastrure. if your ever going to have more then one pedal, then you should seriously consider in investing in a Pedal Board and Power Supply, and quality patch cables to rule them all.

Second, I lump my pedals into three main catagories.
    A. Pedals that help me 'manage' my sound
    B. Pedals that change my sound
    C. Pedals that border A & B

So, looking at my board (and I'm a minimalist when it comes to this stuff) I have 3 pedals that help manage my sound (a Volume pedal, Noise Gate, and Strobe Tuner). Only 2 pedals that change my sound (Overdrive and Distortion). Then there's 2 pedals that sit on the border (a Compressor/Sustainer and a Loop Pedal).

If I, personally, were to ever add to that then it would likely be a 'Spring Reverb' and a 'Analog Delay'. But the bottom line here is that I use my pedal board for the volume control, noise gating, and the tuning capabilities in an effort to manage my sound at least as much, if not more then I do for the stuff that changes my sound - and then the stuff I use is pretty basic.

Lately I have been looking into getting a Digitech BP355 effects board and was wondering if anyone here had one or at least experience with one? The reason I am asking is that I really like the fact that this unit has a 20 second looper with overdub capabilities and while researching the unit I saw a demo on YouTube of the guitar version RP355 and the guy seemed to loop a bass sound, then overdubbed his guitar into the loop as well, which was REALLY cool. The only thing is, I wasn't sure if he was dubbing both bass AND guitar into the same unit since the change was almost instant and I didn't see him switch cables. I was wondering if anyone knew if you can connect both bass and guitar into the unit at the same time? I went to Digitech website and looked up the PDF ownwers manual but there isn't any info about such a feat. Any one have any info here? I can't imagine that running a guitar through the board would do it harm but just wondering if anyone has knowledge/experience with this?

I was looking at the BP355 as well. Let me know if you get one (or even try it out at a store) and tell me what you think. I checked out the manual, too -- but it really looks like you'll have to play around with it to really get a feel for what it does.

I would think the looper would be great for practicing. Couldn't comment on using it to perform.

Thanks to all for the comments.

A cost effective multi-effects pedal would be the Zoom B2. At least with this option you're not spending a fortune up front, and it allows you to play around with different effects. If you really dig a specific effect, then you can look at buying stomp boxes and expression pedals from there. It also has a basic drum machine built in as well, and 40 custom slots in the memory bank to create your own effects, as well as 40 preset effects and a tuner.

The next model up has a built in expression pedal, but you're starting to look at some big cookies when investing at that level.

Also, be aware that you're entering a well documented G.A.S domain, which may result in you having to eating foods that cost $2 or less for prolonged periods of time, and wearing cardboard boxes for shoes.

That's the best advice that I can offer......

Quote Originally Posted by Oxen Cheeks View Post
    A cost effective multi-effects pedal would be the Zoom B2. At least with this option you're not spending a fortune up front, and it allows you to play around with different effects. If you really dig a specific effect, then you can look at buying stomp boxes and expression pedals from there. It also has a basic drum machine built in as well, and 40 custom slots in the memory bank to create your own effects, as well as 40 preset effects and a tuner.

The next model up has a built in expression pedal, but you're starting to look at some big cookies when investing at that level.

Also, be aware that you're entering a well documented G.A.S domain, which may result in you having to eating foods that cost $2 or less for prolonged periods of time, and wearing cardboard boxes for shoes.

That's the best advice that I can offer......
    +1 GAS, be warned!

+ Reply to Thread