Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gig in the heat

Default Gig in the heat

Ive only played 2 gigs and really didnt enjoy either one very much, but the 2nd one was at a private party in someone's back yard. It was 95 and humid out and we set up in the grass facing the sun about 2 hours before sundown. (I wouldnt do that again, ya got to have a platform or something.) We started playing and I guess because of the humidity, out of the blue my bass went quiet. I assumed it was my wireless and hurried and changed to a cable but still nothing. Then all of a sudden it started working. Then it happened again for no apparent reason. Then it happened to the guitar player. on about our 5th song, the pa went out. We got the homeowner to give us a fan and we pointed it at the mixing board and then it was OK again. Finally with the fan and the sun going down things went smoothly, but by that time I was in a pretty foul mood. I couldn't wait to get done so I could just sit down and have beer!

In my opinion, playing the bass is all about having FUN. If you find yourself in a situation that your not having FUN you will lose interest real fast. I understand your feelings about your second gig but you didn't say why you didn't enjoy your first one!!!
    Always remember to enjoy where you're at on the way to where you're going!!!

The first gig was a bar up in Wisconsin when we went on a fishing trip up there. It actually was a good situation for a first gig, an audience full of people I don't know and will never see again! We played ok but I just never did start having fun.I guess it comes down to the fact we just don't get together enough to play well enough together , and I'm really not to the point where I feel the need to show off what I can do on the bass. Fortunately It didn't affect my desire to play.

Glade it didn't affect your desire to play. Stay with it and the FUN will happen!!!
    Always remember to enjoy where you're at on the way to where you're going!!!

If you haven't had time to practice together for a specific gig, you do need to be familiar enough with your bandmates to get the endings and beginnings down and some sort of signals for "tag this", "repeat", and "end now". The intros and endings are what folks remember!

I have sat in for missing bassists a few times and even though the material may not be difficult, or may even be familiar, I do find it stressful until I figure out "how" they play and what the signals are. I remember playing a couple of years ago with a band that had practised quite intensively on a set of songs that I was familiar with, but their style was to insert a number of unexpected breaks in the music during most songs. I knew the songs, but trying to watch for the often almost invisible signals that a break was happening, was tiring. Second time through I had some notes on the breaks and it went much better - nothing worse than playing through a break when everyone else has suddenly "STOPPED".

Yessir, the beginnings and endings were a big stress point for me. We didn't practice them enough but thanks to my nagging we practiced them sometimes. Its frustrating when you can't get together as often as you should.

Quote Originally Posted by TobiasMan View Post

I have sat in for missing bassists a few times and even though the material may not be difficult, or may even be familiar, I do find it stressful until I figure out "how" they play and what the signals are. I remember playing a couple of years ago with a band that had practised quite intensively on a set of songs that I was familiar with, but their style was to insert a number of unexpected breaks in the music during most songs. I knew the songs, but trying to watch for the often almost invisible signals that a break was happening, was tiring. Second time through I had some notes on the breaks and it went much better - nothing worse than playing through a break when everyone else has suddenly "STOPPED".
    OMG, you're bringing back bad memories!

Default Where practice does no good at all.

Here's mine from Road rash just in case you are anyone happen to miss this. Also have pics of this gig some where on here, TR, but can't remember at the moment where their at right now.

The Mexican Head Road Rash!!

I'll aways remember this one for sure! Me on bass, practiced for a week with this Mexican fellow, NO PUN INTENTED!!
    To play for the New Orleans Boat Club where they go from Florida to Mexico in their boats. Well we went over all the songs,
    because I'm no Mexican bass player, but got it all down, and me and the gang or ready at the gig and I need to wear this big what ever you call it 50 lbs 3ft WIDE PLASTER PARIS HAT!!!! Well it felt like it! That's the HEAD ROAD RASH part of the 2 hour gig, well here we begin,
    and the fellow who we practiced with all week starts to play (wired) and goes way out into the crowd with his guitar and we the group were all by ourself from there!! He plays everything different from what we practiced and in all different keys!! Us as a band kept looking at each other like OH BOY were in trouble NOW!! Well we made it though it and did alright.
    But here's why I think we did alright, Yes we were playing Mexican music but there was not a Mexican in the place, and we covered ourself (faking alot of it) pretty well! The end of story is, if there would have been all Mexican familys etc there, I think it would have looked like The Blues Brothers movie standing behind the screen with bottles being thrown at us!
    Well, when it was all over we got paid!! This is great, the best part of it all the crowd thanked us and thought we were GREAT!!!!!!!!
    WHATTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It really was FUN now that I'm thinking about it!

Line6bassman
    GO LOW!!!STAY HIGH!!!ON BASS THAT IS!!!

Pix of you in the plaster of Paris hat...pretty please?

- low life -

Quote Originally Posted by Elmeaux View Post
    Pix of you in the plaster of Paris hat...pretty please?

You saw it before it was the pics with that big roasted PIG and it used to be my profile picture. The inside of that hat was made of plaster Paris and it was painful but I smiled through out!!! Let's see if it's in saved attachments you'll remember.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yaught 2 002.jpg 
Views:	418 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	1761Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yaught 8 001.jpg 
Views:	384 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	1762
    GO LOW!!!STAY HIGH!!!ON BASS THAT IS!!!