Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Always wanted to play the bass

1. Default Always wanted to play the bass

Been noddling around for a couple of years. Hopefully TMBG will push me forward.
    I’m stuck trying to memorize the neck. I know 1st position fairly well, 5th is OK, but the rest is pitiful. So off to the Thunder Row forums for some hints and tricks. Then I see I can’t read all content in helpful posts due to this screwy rule for 5 postings. What up with that?
    Looking forward to really learning the bass. Thanks for reading.

Welcome to TMBG and Thunder Row, Ideforre. Nice to have you with us.

Hi Ideforre - Welcome to Thunder Row, sorry about the five posts rule - it's an annoying hurdle we all have to clear, but it keeps spam to a minimum and seems to work. Your patience is much appreciated. As for trying to memorize the neck, I'm sure other members will be forthcoming with helpful techniques. I'll say this much, if you can learn the 1st and 5th, you can learn them all. Be patient with yourself and you'll soon reach one of those benchmarks that lets you know "Hey! I can do this!"

Welcome to TMBG. One of the best courses available and the folks on the forum here are great "encouragers".

The 5 post rule is there to prevent "automated "bots" from getting into the site and accessing forum data. Ya have to be a repeat offender.

Post up a few more times and all will be revealed.

Learning the neck is important for progression so try reviewing the positions and repeating the names out loud. You'll also notice that there are patterns to the relationship of notes all across the neck. Once you've got that understood, it will make the memorization easier.

Ideforre,

Say hello individually to each of us and you will be there......

(Does this count as a "helpful technique"?).....
    Shine on you crazy diamond.....

Welcome to Thunder Row. Enjoy the journey through the Bass-Land! Tip: don't be a lesson hopper, but check out Lesson 4 page 1. Just page 1, figure 3. You will realize that you already know the whole neck. You just need that visualization. Roy talks about the neck in Lesson 1, but leaves the icing on the cake for lesson 4.

7. Default

Thanks - good tip. Will do.

8. Default

Thanks - I'll check it out when I get home tonight.

9. Default

Sorry TobiasMan. You're right about eliminating unwanted bots. It is necessary - but cumbersome.
    I say the names out loud, but it doesn't seem to stick. Looking for the patterns is my present endeavor.

10. Default

Thanks! Looking forward to making better progress than my past two years.
    And I must say you guys are all very supportive. Thanks!