Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Player Making a Come Back

1. Default Old Player Making a Come Back

Hey all my name is Willy Weyland and I started playing bass in 1966 while in high school in a rock band. I had a Gibson OB3 and a Vox Super Beatle for gear. Well all was going excellent, we even got on Happening 68 battle of the bands and opened for Mitch Rider and the Detroit Wheels at 2 concerts. However when the Vietnam war came along and they drew my number, so off I went. While I was in basic training in the army my stupid no I should say insane brother burned down the house and that was the end of my gear. So I didn't play again for 50 years and now that I am retired I am into your 20 lesson CDs. Excellent work BTW. If anyone out there has a vox super beatle I would consider buying it. Right now need to get some surgery on my right hand for carpel tunnel and a herniated disk at L3, L4 and L5. So the pills I am taking for my back and hand pain seems to be impacting my forming new pathways in my brain. Besides the opiates which I am detoxing off of now (going to surgery) and thins seem to be getting better with my brain forming mew synopsis. But I am still slow I am down from 200 mg of methadone to 120 today. Other than the opiate is there anything else I can do to help my brain? I am 63 years old now but once I start something I see it all the way through. I am on lesson 5 now. I hope to find a band soon and the 3 of the 6 guys I played with in high school are still playing. I practice with them when I can. Anyway thought I would introduce myself and start looking for a vox super beatle. One on Ebay but it is the wrong model. Well have a good day and play your hearts out. I am having a blast again just need a band now. Even got a 5 string Fender American Standard Precision Bass. It only has one set of pickups and I was wonder if another set of pickups can be added to it. I live in Salt Lake City, Utah. Play your hearts out. Sorry I am so gabby. See ya Willy.

Hello, Willy! What a story you bring with you!! Your service to your country is admirable!

Glad you're enjoying your lessons!

When's the surgery?

- low life -

Great story, Willy. It's nice to have you with us. Thunder Row is a very useful resource and a lot of friendly helpful people participate. I think you'll enjoy it here.

From one Vet to another, welcome to Thunder Row and TMBG, Willy. Glade to have you as part of the family!!!
    Always remember to enjoy where you're at on the way to where you're going!!!

Welcome, Willy!
    EBMM Dargie II Bongo, Carvin Brian Bromberg B24, Carvin LB76, Fender MIJ mid-80s P Bass, '75 Gibson Ripper Fretless
    Genz Benz NEOX400, Genz Benz NEO-112T

Enjoy your return to the bass. It can take a while for our "old" brains to start to pick up on this stuff, so hang in there. As you get more of the concepts down, things will move more quickly. Of course, as you progress through the course, Roy adds to the load in the later lessons, but it will come.

7. Default

Thanks everyone for the welcome, it is good to belong to a community that enjoys the same thing. I will be having surgery starting Wednesday they will give me a steroid shot at L3 and L4 to see if that is the location of the blockage that is bothering me bad. If it isn't they will do the shot at L4 and L5 to see if it is there. If none of the shots stop the pain i Will have to have the back fused from L3 to L5 or S1 not sure. I hope to get my right hand carpel tunnel done at the same time but I don't know if they will do that. Again thanks for the welcome I am feeling at home here. I am almost positive they will fuse my back and that is the last thing I want. The room in the nerve canal is 3.9 mm and 4.0 mm at those 2 junctions. Bad news but you know my right hand is the worst I really hope they can fix it although I can use my 2 fingers to pick the strings and a pick also but that had goes to sleep alll the time.
    Well thanks again.

Willy

Welcome to TR. Sorry to hear about your injury. I hope everything pans out for you shortly.

More importantly, I'm really stoked to hear that your getting back into bass.

Good luck!
    Unleash the funk thunder!

9. Default

Hi sir, and welcome!!

Thanks for taking the time to share your story; us young guys (if i'm still in that bunch at 39) have so much to learn from people like you; like discipline and perseverance and staying focused no matter what!! Wow!! Thanks again!

I must tell you that I have the most respect for people who went through what you did; you saw the worst side of mankind and look at you!!! All positive and all!...

Sir, I have much to learn from you!

Keep in touch!!

Christian
    Quebec, Canada

10. Default

Forgot to say this: don't expect or confess what you don't want to happen to you, only what you really want to happen...sounds like fairy tale stuff but in my experience, it never fails to be true (to my amazement)!