Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bass Guitar(s) and equipment for sale

Default Bass Guitar(s) and equipment for sale

Arthritic fingers don't make for quality bass playing. Two fingers on my left hand were victims of fracture-dislocation playing college football and just don't do the job....

So I have some gear that I bought ( I try to be an optimist ). Not looking to profit from these sales, just prefer not to go the eBay route.

When possible I will combine shipping costs on things, except if international where the shipping costs are outrageous. We can work it out. For example if you buy both basses and the Double gig bag, I will pack them all together for one price.

Here is the list, I can send photos, PM me for info or you can email me at bergstrom dot mike at gmail dot com

Ibanez SR300 4 string in Roadster Orange Mettalic. This is the 2012 model - 5 individual controls as opposed to the prior year with the piggyback knobs. This is two weeks old so technically it is used, but not really. $300 Bought brand new at the local GC, still returnable, but a great deal.

Ibanez SR300DXF 4 String Fretless - like new condition, beautiful Red Metallic. Passive P + J pickups. Gorgeous. I paid $180 - that's what you will pay for this.

Ibanez IBZ10B 10W Combo Amp - used but in excellent condition. $30

Stone Double bass Gig bag - this holds two basses. Shoulder straps and storage pocket. Thick padding for both basses.
    Black with red accents - $35

Tascam GB 10 Guitar Bass Trainer - new in box with batteries and AC Adapter $100

I have a metronome and a Snark tuner, one will go with each guitar at random

Also books

Hal Leonard Bass Vol 1 - $10 with dvd
    Bass Guitar for Dummies with CD - $10
    Bass Guitar Exercises for Dummies with CD - $10
    Hal Leonard U2 Song Book with CD - $10

----------------------
    Bass shipping - $30
    Double gig bag - $15 ( due to size )
    Combo Amp - $10
    Tascam - $10
    Books - $2 each $1 for each additional.

I am in Eastern MA and am an honest guy, only looking to get back some of the investment I made before I considered the reality of my capacities :-) On the bright side, I gave it a shot....maybe 35 years ago this would have worked!

I will take paypal ( protects us both ). Email or PM for more PP information.

Are you sure you're done, MikeB?

We're all pretty bad in the beginning, but if you hang in there you'll figure out ways to get around your limitations. Remember: You don't have to play everything the exact way Roy plays it to be a good bassist. In fact, I'm willing to bet that none of us relative beginners has his perfect fretting form. I know I don't.

Good luck (if nothing else, I bumped your thread ).

Hey, Mike - I can only imagine your frustration. Bass guitar certainly does make physical demands - especially on the fretting hand. That said, have you ever considered playing lefty? (I'm assuming you're right-handed). I know a number of folks who've managed the switch with great success. Worth a shot! Whatever you decide, we wish you all the best.

Oh yes, sadly these two fingers are not very functional and playing lefty isn't always an option as one of them is my middle finger. The other is my ring finger and I can't wear my wedding band all the time because I can't put it on and if it is on, I can't take it off and the finger swells. The last knuckle of my ring finger points at an "odd" angle from when it was injured and I reduced it myself. The pinkie on my right hand....the middle knuckle is a giant ball of calcification. I once got two fingers wrapped in a guy's jersey trying to tackle him after an interception...that really hurt.

To think I was actually good at catching the ball! Imagine if I had rocks for hands.

Thanks for the good wishes.

Sorry to hear about your situation, Mike! Sometimes old injuries do come back to bite us.

I've seen guys play the bass with a single fretting finger! Lots of hand movement, but they made it work (not too good for arpeggios and chords though).

Wishing you the very best with your sale.

Mike,

If you give up the bass, promise you'll still hang out with us here on the Row. Buds are Buds...right?

- low life -

I still love the bass and bass players, so of course. I read every day....

Sorry to hear about your arthritic fingers, but I’m not going to let you off the hook so easily. I understand the index finger and pinky of your left hand are fully functional. You can play, period! Just because you think your condition doesn’t make for quality bass playing, you’re gonna deprive yourself of the pleasure to play? You want to quit?

You’ll never know how good you can get if you quit now. Even if you can’t meet your own expectations, that’s no reason to give up. I’m sorry, but it sounds like an excuse to me. I can’t be as good as (name your bass player) so I’ll quit. Well, most of us can’t be as good as whoever. Otherwise, we would be up there with them.

Let me tell you about condition and frustration. You know, it’s been bugging me for a long time, and I think it’s a good time to share it with everybody. Maybe it will change your mind MikeB and you won’t give up after all.

I’m 52 now and about three years ago I was stricken with bilateral Meniere’s disease. Most people are not familiar with this incurable condition, so let me explain it briefly. Unpredictable vertigo attacks, fluctuating tinnitus (ringing in the ears), pressure or fullness in the head and ears, nausea, balance problems, and progressive deafness. That’s what the disease leads to. Symptoms can be alleviated with medication, but not all of them and not completely. I am one of the rare cases with both sides affected so surgery is not recommended.

So how do I cope with it, and how can I even dare engage in music? I do use hearing aids and headphones over them. It sucks I tell you. Fluctuating tinnitus and distortion it introduces, gives me the most frustration. Playing guitar, bass or piano brings relief though, and briefly improves the hearing itself. It doesn’t always work this way, but music does seem to have some healing properties. It’s my therapy for keeping sanity, and I will keep playing for as long as I am able to. Quitting is not an option.

Most of you are probably not familiar with Steve Krenz and Gibson’s Learn & Master Guitar, but let me tell you something. He does live lessons and invites outstanding guitarists from time to time to share their knowledge with the students. Some of them have physical disabilities, one was born blind, and yet none of those disabilities prevented them from becoming great players.

Don’t judge yourself or your progress MikeB. Don’t do it for me or anybody else. Do it for yourself. Don’t quit!

The band on the DVD have already got your first gig lined up at the end of Lesson 2.

Where are they going to get a replacement from at this short notice?

Hang on in there a bit longer. At least give yourself the chance to actually play with the band. Then the effort sees its own reward.

Would you really want to do it, if there was no challenge?

It's just a blip Mike. A bump in the musical road. The first of many on a potentially great trip. As I said once before, enjoy the ride (as much as the destination).

Good luck.

Paul
    Shine on you crazy diamond.....

You guys here are the BEST. Bar none. End of sentence.

- low life -