Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bass Guitar(s) and equipment for sale

Quote Originally Posted by Basslad View Post
    Sorry to hear about your arthritic fingers, but I’m not going to let you off the hook so easily. I understand the index finger and pinky of your left hand are fully functional. You can play, period! Just because you think your condition doesn’t make for quality bass playing, you’re gonna deprive yourself of the pleasure to play? You want to quit?

You’ll never know how good you can get if you quit now. Even if you can’t meet your own expectations, that’s no reason to give up. I’m sorry, but it sounds like an excuse to me. I can’t be as good as (name your bass player) so I’ll quit. Well, most of us can’t be as good as whoever. Otherwise, we would be up there with them.

Let me tell you about condition and frustration. You know, it’s been bugging me for a long time, and I think it’s a good time to share it with everybody. Maybe it will change your mind MikeB and you won’t give up after all.

I’m 52 now and about three years ago I was stricken with bilateral Meniere’s disease. Most people are not familiar with this incurable condition, so let me explain it briefly. Unpredictable vertigo attacks, fluctuating tinnitus (ringing in the ears), pressure or fullness in the head and ears, nausea, balance problems, and progressive deafness. That’s what the disease leads to. Symptoms can be alleviated with medication, but not all of them and not completely. I am one of the rare cases with both sides affected so surgery is not recommended.

So how do I cope with it, and how can I even dare engage in music? I do use hearing aids and headphones over them. It sucks I tell you. Fluctuating tinnitus and distortion it introduces, gives me the most frustration. Playing guitar, bass or piano brings relief though, and briefly improves the hearing itself. It doesn’t always work this way, but music does seem to have some healing properties. It’s my therapy for keeping sanity, and I will keep playing for as long as I am able to. Quitting is not an option.

Most of you are probably not familiar with Steve Krenz and Gibson’s Learn & Master Guitar, but let me tell you something. He does live lessons and invites outstanding guitarists from time to time to share their knowledge with the students. Some of them have physical disabilities, one was born blind, and yet none of those disabilities prevented them from becoming great players.

Don’t judge yourself or your progress MikeB. Don’t do it for me or anybody else. Do it for yourself. Don’t quit!
    **** that tough love! Doesn't seem fair, but exactly what I would have said to any number of the athletes that I coach and have coached over the years.

You guys suck ( but I mean that in the nicest way )

Quote Originally Posted by PaulUK View Post
    The band on the DVD have already got your first gig lined up at the end of Lesson 2.

Where are they going to get a replacement from at this short notice?

Hang on in there a bit longer. At least give yourself the chance to actually play with the band. Then the effort sees its own reward.

Would you really want to do it, if there was no challenge?

It's just a blip Mike. A bump in the musical road. The first of many on a potentially great trip. As I said once before, enjoy the ride (as much as the destination).

Good luck.

Paul
    The guitar player made fun of me, I know he did. I saw him looking at me and doing the fake throw up thing.....that was unfair!

LOL

Do hang in there Mike. May be a challenge, but finding a way to overcome the challenge makes the results all that much sweeter. Last time I watched Jack Bruce play the bass, he looked like he was having arthritis problems - his fingers were looking pretty crippled up and stiff. Neither you nor I will likely ever be a Jack Bruce - but he was givin'er and making marvellous music!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    The guitar player made fun of me, I know he did. I saw him looking at me and doing the fake throw up thing.....that was unfair!

LOL
    I don't think so Mike. They have too much respect for fellow musicians. They know just how much hard work and commitment goes into earning that slot. If you need more convincing, look up some of my friend Donnie B's recent posts.

All the best,

Paul
    Shine on you crazy diamond.....

Mike dont let this cut short your bass playing be better than that. all of the people here dont care if you have to slow down for ill ness or not. we will stll be here when you get back or better,if you keep going then you are the star in our hart.so please do not stop playing.what it is about is the love of the bass and the people who play bass. i hope to be able to be back playing my bass soon you. i just got out of the hospital.i will more than likely have to start all over from one i was al most ready to move to five but i still love the bass that much.we have good friends here at the row that will helP us in any way they can . so come on MIKEB LETS PLAY BASS, STAY WITH US
    Let's Play Bass!