Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The P&W (Praise & Worship) Team Bass Players Hot Line?'S

Default The P&W (Praise & Worship) Team Bass Players Hot Line?'S

Alright here's something I said I might start so I'm going with it. Don't know if this shall be an article are a thread but here it is for now. We seem to be having here and coming into Thunder Row bass players who would like to be involved in their church Praise & Worship groups, also we has some here such as Myself, TobiasMan and a few others, just can’t think of all of them right now, who have been playing in this Situation since the 80’s etc. So maybe we can make this a place about how we handled certain situations that arose and share experiences for those just starting out are those wanting to become part of a worship team at their church. I’ll try here to find as many links that we have done here on Thunder Row that have to do with this subject and place them here. If anyone has any suggestion on how we can make this more helpful to you in this area let me know are right jump in!!
    So do any of you long time players in the P&W team have any real helpful suggestions for those
    who maybe just starting out are thinking about becoming part of a P&W team?
    How you play a certain song (Links) Bio, etc?
    And don’t forget for those of you that are just starting out with a P&W team are anyone thinking about it,
    Have a question? Ask away!!
    OK!! I’m going to start this off!

Line6bassman’s short Bio.

Started playing guitar when I was 12 ( many many Ralph’s ago ) (moon’s) When you could ride the bus in New Orleans without getting mugged!! From Werlein’s Music on Canal St. Great memories!!
    http://medianola.tulane.edu/index.ph...re#cite_note-0
    First started as a worship leader in my church somewhere around 1974, then started playing bass about 1980 and are presently full time bass player and sometimes Worship leader when called upon!
    Well that’s my short quick Bio with lots in between there, but enough for here.
    Also having been and still are a part time worship leader, I’ve been on both sides of the team
    That’s why I stress a team philosophy because I’ve felt the pressure from both sides of the
    Line you might say. So here’s also after the team Philosophy part of this, is a blog I wrote on another matter concerning the team
    That is very important. Then I’ll finish up with the links.
    Thanks. I hope this is helpful to those who could use it.

THE TEAM PHILOSOPHY

First thing I would start out with is asking a question? We are talking about a team right?
    No matter if you’re in a rock band, Jazz Band etc it maybe a group but a group is still a team of
    players. If you play a guitar by yourself your guitar is your team or if you are a acapella
    singer your voice would be your team and without your voice you would be just standing
    there looking kind of stupid you might say. I know I’m going on a bit with this but I’m trying to stress a point here that this has got to be the number one GOAL to press on for in any band or group but especially in the P&W group. One last point that some may know what I’m talking about.
    It’s like your body it works together and when one part suffers the rest of the body suffers with it.
    Maybe one day this team thing will really click with some down the road and if just one remembers
    It, it will be worth it to me about haven written it here. I hope this helps? So remember it's all about the team
    and a team effort!! Hear is the link on the blog I was talking about and the other links of interest.
    http://www.thunderrow.com/entry.php?...s-Watching-You

One last note!!

If anybody seems to forget that this thread is here and you would happen to place
    it somewhere else on TR and it concerns subjects that would fit here pertaining to things that would
    be helpful on this thread and if I happen to see it if you don't mind I'll put your link here in this thread.
    So help out here and pitch in with your thoughts. Thanks!! Line6bassman

Here are some other links to do with P&W songs and related areas.

http://www.thunderrow.com/showthread...ship-Bass-Tabs

http://www.thunderrow.com/showthread...players-thread

Line6bassman
    Last edited by line6bassman; 06-29-2012 at 04:28 PM.
    GO LOW!!!STAY HIGH!!!ON BASS THAT IS!!!

Looks like this could be a great place to discuss P&W music especially the bass. Glad you told me about it in the Introduction section. Hopefully you get a lot of interest. I will be checking on a regular basis. Tom

Would our Praise and Worship players like a section of the forum dedicated specifically to this topic? We have "Playing The Bass", "Introduce Yourself", "About Amps", "About FX" etc...would you be interested in a "Praise and Worship" section, devoted to your songs, tabs, musicians, etc?

Speak up if you're interested. We can make it happen.

- low life -

That's a yea from me! I know we seem to be having people coming in here a lot that are of the P&W bass interest and that are already here. I'm sure if it was more up front on the page more would get involved than stumbling upon the thread. But that's up to the TR Team. let see if any see this request for long enough.
    I think it would great! Well? I CAN'T HEAR YOUUUUUU

Line6bassman
    Last edited by line6bassman; 07-04-2012 at 12:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    Looks like this could be a great place to discuss P&W music especially the bass. Glad you told me about it in the Introduction section. Hopefully you get a lot of interest. I will be checking on a regular basis. Tom
    Thanks Tom! I hope so too. Got a thought, anything? Jump right in.

Thanks for starting the ball rolling L6B.

Where ever this ends up (here, or as a separate forum), I'll be checking in frequently.

Personal Music Bio

I took piano lessons for a number of years and actually got some certificates to prove I'd accomplished some stuff, but the piano never really clicked for me. I was introduced to the bass when I picked up my room mates Hofner knock off in college, but didn't actually own one for some years. After college I played a lovely 4 string tenor guitar and a 6 string classical in the 60s, when my cousin and I played and sang in folk clubs. My sister lost my tenor guitar in Vancouver but I still have my classical and play it periodically when I go to visit my Dad, who loves strumming on his Harmony guitar.

Life - university, job, marriage, kids, etc. intervened for quite a few years and other than singing bass, I didn't do much music.

Bought my Fender P in 1983 and started playing with the pianist at church in about 1985. Have been playing regularly on the Worship Team since then. The band slowly grew over time and we are pretty much a full CC band now (piano, KB, drums, lead guitar, rhythm guitar, flute/whistle and sometimes another percussionist, and three singers) - with slight focus on the softer stuff like Robin Mark (we have a whistle player on the team who makes the celtic style come alive) along with Paul Baloche, Chris Tomlin, Brian Doerksen, and a good dollop of arrangements of old time hymns, etc. For a few years I played with another WB at the same time, but it was just too much work to move gear, set up, tear down, keep track of multiple set lists and styles, so I let the other one go.

Have picked up other basses as I travelled the road, my Tobias Killer B6 in 1997, my MTD fretless in 2008 and my NXT5 EUB in 2011.

Have found TMBG to be a fantastic refresher tool and Roy has prompted me to explore and stretch my comfort zone.

L6B is right about the team. Probably even more so than in a secular band, the team's commitment is of utmost importance when you are trying to deliver worship sets that complement/fit/support the pastor's message. No room for prima donnas or show offs who can't or won't assist the team in its goals.

We are currently preparing for an 8 day long gig at our District camp this summer (we played there last year as well - 800 to 1500 people there most of the time) which will involve about 14 sets of music. Although we all know the music, we are having 2 -3 practices a week from now until August to ensure that we have the new arrangements worked out, intros and endings nailed and transitions in place.

A worship band is probably one of the steadiest gigs one can have, but I have found the diversity of music and the need to adapt on the fly is unique. You get a great opportunity to get tight with the rest of the band, to learn to listen to what they are doing and adapt accordingly. Most road bands have a couple of hours of music that they play - most of the time. In our band, every week we bring in new stuff and drop off old stuff, plus play "remember, that song you did last month" at the drop of a hat. And you don't generally need roadies cuz you know where you're playing next!!!

OK over to some others here.

Questions? Lots.

Answers? Some, eh?

Yes from me too. I am not in p&w at church, but definitely my tops 2 types of music.

Thanks elmeaux.

Quote Originally Posted by debitcred1 View Post
    Yes from me too. I am not in p&w at church, but definitely my tops 2 types of music.

Thanks elmeaux.
    Not yet!!!

THANKS TM FOR YOUR INPUT!! THAT WAS SOME GOOD READING!!!

Line6bassman

I love Christian/Gospel music. Never played in a P&W Band and I don't know if I ever will but I love the music!!!
    Always remember to enjoy where you're at on the way to where you're going!!!