+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What Songs Are You Working On?

Quote Originally Posted by Elmeaux View Post
    Love these songs!! New about getting in a band? Do tell.
    Well, there is a guy in town, never met him before (thought I knew everybody in this rinkydink village), who has recently opened up a tattoo place. Turns out he fixes guitars too. My input jack has been giving me static (hehehe) so I thought I'd go see him, and go see him I did. We gat to talking and the more we talked the more he said I was just the kind of bass player he's been looking for. A rock solid keep it simple thumper who, in his words, "can own me". He likes to take his flights of fancy on the lead guitar and needs a bass that can ground him and bring him back to the song. Also, he's been through the drugs and drinking and drama and really likes the fact that I bring none of that with me. I haven't had a chance to jam with him or his drummer yet as they have been down in So. Cal. for a couple weeks doing some show. We'll see how it goes. Worst that happens, I don't get in the band but have some musical connections to learn from.
    Had a great day today. Got our lambs done (had lamb stew tonight yumyum), one of our goats had her kids today, got a new boar so once the current piggletts are grown, we'll have more! Life is good.

I recently finished lesson 5 so I treated myself to some song books, Eric Clapton, Black Sabbath, Rolling Stones and ACDC which should keep me happy for a while, starting out with Cocaine ( J.J. Cale ) from the Clapton book.

Great to hear a band opportunity has come your way Troy, and you said it wouldn't happen out your way, good luck and congrats. Has the upright lessons happened at all or is spring time keeping you too busy. Keep on Thumpin'
    Last edited by Rubbersoul; 07-29-2012 at 02:41 AM.
    !!!!!!

I hate it when threads die, don't you?
    Well I am a Paul Denman 'Sade' and Mark King 'Level 42' fan. well actually am a bit fanatical in my own private way!
    Well I cannot do 'hammer On' , but I just love chasing the bass lines of this pair of maestros. Whose next?
    Bass Sickaly I have a Bass Mentality!
    My kit: Yamaha BB714BS 1st Ed,
    Yamaha 374 2 X bucks
    1970's Fender Telecaster (Pristine)!
    Turque (1980's) 100W Amp Conbo
    Peavey 115 Bass Amp Combo
    Stagg 40W Amp Combo (well I didn't know it would rattle!)
    Small bathroom ampo!
    V-Amp Pro. (How does this work?)
    Thingy for connecting bass to computer, but I lost the registration codes!
    I take 24 tablet each day, but smiling makes me feel good!

I recently finished lesson 5 so I treated myself to some song books, Eric Clapton, Black Sabbath, Rolling Stones and ACDC which should keep me happy for a while, starting out with Cocaine ( J.J. Cale ) from the Clapton book.

Hi RubberSoul. Nice choices on the music books, love that stuff. Especially J.J. Cale.

Great to hear a band opportunity has come your way Troy, and you said it wouldn't happen out your way, good luck and congrats. Has the upright lessons happened at all or is spring time keeping you too busy. Keep on Thumpin'

That's what I get for thinking I knew what I was talking about eh? HaHa. Still waiting on the upright lessons. The teacher was busy with a CD project she was working on and has been trying to round up another double bass as the one she has is being used for an orchestra by another student of hers.

Good to hear from you!

Interesting mix of songs and bassists, everybody...the beauty of music!

I've been playing around with some of the songs transcribed in the Standing in the Shadows of Motown book and I'm finding that they can tell me exactly what notes James Jamerson played on various songs but, oddly, they can't make my playing sound as good as his did. No worries.

Hope to start learning these songs at some point in the coming weeks:

Come and Get Your Love - Redbone
    Lovely Day - Bill Withers
    Don't Play That Song - Aretha Franklin

Next?

Oh Aretha Franklin, I'm pretty sure I'm in love with her! Nice songs Bassix. I really like your bass playing and to tell you the truth, you have been an inspiration. Thanks.
    Annnnnnnnnd. I'm now officially in a band. Well, not sure it's officially a band yet, we need a drummer but you get the idea. Went over and played tonight with the guitarist and he said I was the best bass player he's played with in 10 years. I don't know what bassists he's played with the last 10 years but I took it as a compliment. There wasn't a drummer so I took the lead on keeping time and he was very impressed with the steadyness of it. Adreneline is still pumping.
    Thanks, Roy and crew. Owe it all to you guys.

Bassix where did you get the Motown transcripts? I thought I really liked Motown, until I hear Joan Osborne singing what becomes of a broken hearted, with babett on bass! Now I know I LOVE Motown.

I have tried copying his playing but not enough experience to pull it off.

Thanks, Troy! I'm pretty sure we all inspire each other. I didn't want to jinx it by saying anything before it actually happened, but since it's official - Congrats on the band!! I mentioned to you before how enviable your timing is...your guitarist obviously feels the same.

Debitcred1, I think I ordered my copy of Standing In The Shadows from amazon dot com. Only Jamerson's basslines are in the book and it is standard notation only (no tabs), but if you study those basslines you will get some insight on Babbitt's basslines as well. In my case, spending time with the transcriptions helped me learn by ear some Motown songs that are not the book (Come Get To This - Marvin Gaye; Baby Baby Don't Cry - Smokey Robinson). It's a GREAT resource, imho.

http://www.amazon.com/Standing-Shado...of+motown+book
    Last edited by Bassix; 08-06-2012 at 07:05 AM. Reason: added link; typo's

I actually have the book with the cassettes that I bought when this first came out and then I put them on CD
    and since then have put them on my hard drive. You guys keep coming up with stuff that I bought with cassettes.
    ( lots ) LOL!! You do know what a cassette is and was don't you? Your making me feel like that was back in the
    stone ages.

GO HEAD!!!! With your self, OK, with some people Troy!! Congrats!! Nothing like playing with others in a band!!
    And I know you just love seeing my GO HEAD!! from me now don't you????? Are I could have said I told you so
    you never know. Everybody have a great bass day!!!

Line6bassman
    GO LOW!!!STAY HIGH!!!ON BASS THAT IS!!!

Oh, yeah, I remember cassettes! It's funny that my copy of the book still mentions "the tapes" even though my book came with CDs.

+ Reply to Thread