Thread: "Proper" Thumb position

1. Default "Proper" Thumb position

Not sure which one is "correct". Working through the DVDs, it seems that my thumb should be like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0269.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	2197

But it actually hurts. THIS way is the more natural, comfortable position, but I can't pivot, so it slows me down:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0268.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	2196

Do I need to make myself learn to do it the first way and it will get more natural with time? Or is this one of the many things that are personal preference?

(yes, I'm a lefty, so I'm sure they BOTH look wrong to most of you )

Michael

Your comfortable position is what I like to call "Dave Marks Relaxed". It's a style promoted by bassist Dave Marks as a slight variation on the standard.

The standard position hurt me somewhat when I started, too, but I tried to stick with it - keep your thumb easy and light with no pressure - it's just a resting place. I eventually warmed up to it and it became comfortable. I sometimes use the "relaxed" position as well.

In the end, though, if you try to stay with the standard, and the pain gets worse rather than better (as you get stronger), you won't have any enthusiasm to play. In the long run, you must work out what's best for your own needs.

As to the pivot, if I am in the relaxed position and a pivot is required, I can slip to the standard style pretty quickly when needed.

Anybody else?

- low life -