Thread: Home studio recording

Default Home studio recording

Fender 2012 American Standard Precision Bass (Left-handed)
    Fender '59 Bassman LTD.

Great read, Patrick. Thanks!

Good article. Some very good options in there.

4. And the most important one, close ALL non-essential software (basically this is everything except you Anti-Virus and the DAW Software.)
    If one is into computer recording and can swing the expense of a dedicated computer, my favorite method since about 2005 has been to use a machine dedicated to nothing but recording, running bare bones and nothing that does not relate directly to recording, and no connection whatsoever to any kind of networking. This allows for a fast machine with no virus scan running.

Yes, the dedicated system is the best option (as you say there is no need for any anti-virus software unless you want to connect that system to the internet).

But I guess most people here are not planning on setting-up a dedicated "bare bone" system.

One of the problems is that some software (I think cubase is one of them) need a connection to one of their servers to verify the license (to be able to run the software). Now in the case of Cubase (the full expensive version) comes with a USB "e-Licenser" that replaces such internet verificaton, but then the software only works when the USB-stick is connected (for version that do not come with this USB eLicenser they are selling them seperatly so you can transfer your Cubase Elements 6 license to a USB eLicenser).

You're right about the added complexity of license activation requiring a connection somewhere along the lines. EZ Drummer has required that on my rig. The workaround they offer is that you can create an activation request code (embedded into an HTML file created by EZD), move that file to a net connected computer, obtain the activation code from the manufacturer, and transfer that code back into the DAW. It might seem time consuming and awkward, but to me its worth the effort to keep the computer off the internet.

Alternately, one could keep a network connection available on the dedicated machine and enable it only to download activations and such, disabling the connection at all other times. The key purpose here is simply to keep the machine as clean as possible so it remains as fast as possible.

When we start getting into things like new gear here and there, or more basses, or more amps, or more mics for recording, getting a dedicated DAW is really not out of the ball park, expense wise, with expanding our other bits of the arsenal. It's frightening where we are, cost wise, in the ability to make quality recordings compared to 15-20 years ago. And a second machine exclusively for DAW use is certainly not something one has to jump into right away with huge costs. Heck, a machine 1-2 generations behind what's hot now can still be an inexpensive and respectable DAW.

Being a Mac guy, I would throw in Garageband to the computer based recording software. It comes pre-installed on all new Mac's and is a great program to start with. If you're looking for something more Logic Express and Logic Pro are both full featured DAW's. Just my 2 cents

I worked for years in Logic...until they abandoned me after version 5. I loved Logic back then.