Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does GAS stand for

Default What does GAS stand for

I feel like an idiot asking this, I have seen reference to this acronim in a number of threads but no definition. I have tried to figure it out since it is usually in reference to spending more money on bass eqjuipment that we don't need but probably should have.
    Enlightenment please.

From the Free Dictionary:

GAS Gear Acquisition Syndrome (mainly bass guitarists) :-)

Just google it, Silverfox.

That unstoppable, nagging little munchkin in your head that keeps insisting you need a new bass, a new amp, a new strap, a new monogrammed pick, a new bass-clef baseball hat, new strings, a new instruction book...

:::deep breath:::

...a bigger home studio, a new recording device, more sheet music, a bigsby for your Gretsch White Falcon bass, a Gretsch White Falcon bass for your new bigsby...new pickups, an active set-up for your passive bass, a new active bass to show you how to install the active set-up kit you bought for your passive bass, a bass guitar set-up kit with silver-plated tools, bigger speakers in the trunk of your car to deliver more bass as you drive, so people will know you're a bass player, a fretless bass (because you've never played one) a subscription to five bass magazines, so the mail man will know you're a bass player, a new Mono bass-carrying case...

:::gasping for air:::

...waterproofing spray for your Mono case, a five-string bass, custom-ordered bumper stickers that say "Bass Player Do It Down Low", humidifying sponges, de-humidifying sponges, a new acoustic Fender bass, a bow to play your bass with, rosin for your bow, a $5000.00 stand-up bass to make the bow worth your while, a six-string bass with fanned frets, bass-player goggles and fins, nylon bass strings and a Kala uke bass to attach them to, bass-clef stickers for your gear bag, a new gear bag, a flag that reads "Kiss A Bass Player And Feel The Thunder" to fly on your car's aerial, a lifetime supply of Locktite, new Hercules instrument stands, a foot-rest so you can play sitting down, a Doberman Pinscher to guard your bass gear when you're away...

...sorry...I'm just a little gassy...

- low life -

Calm down, Elmeaux! All of that and you left out the bass clef underwear. What were you thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by ArtLiestman View Post
    What were you thinking?
    ...clearly, I wasn't...

- low life -

I'm sure glad I don't have any of those thoughts?that
    GO LOW!!!STAY HIGH!!!ON BASS THAT IS!!!

I wondered what that RUMBLING was inside me lately. I must have GAS!!!
    Always remember to enjoy where you're at on the way to where you're going!!!

I think Elmeaux has just about covered it.

Sounds like the voice of "experience" speaking

i always have GAS in one form or another . if it is not for music it is for my wood working tools. so i figured out that all i want is just a little more than i will ever have. ps the only thing GAS hurts is the wallet aka bank account .
    Let's Play Bass!

Folks this applies to bikes as well. A shed with 6 bikes in it in Billerica, MA demonstrates same.

Elmeaux - no fretless bass? The horror!