Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: manual chapter 16 page 6 ?

Question Music notation

I have another book related request which I hope you will be able to include with the upcomming update of the TMBG handbook :

I'm looking at the Major Scales in Lesson 2 page 3 (the music and tab notation) but IMHO it's a bit small.
    I use a music stand (I printed the book because I find it better then on a PC screen AND less strain for the eyes) and It's pretty hard to see the notes.

The sizes of these notations vary in the book and I think having the same size as Figure 1 on page 3 or Figure 2 on page 4 (still lesson 2) is the ideal size.

Now what I'm asking is not to rework the entire book, but for example to include a seperate chapter/PDF that ONLY has the music notations on them without the text.
    So this would make 1 page with the Major Scales in the First Position - Flats and 1 page with the Major Scales in the First Position - Sharps.

If you could do this for ALL the notations in the manual (all the same size) I think it would be a great help for people.

Also, one of the advantages I think this would have is that you could call this PDF the "Workbook" and people can print it (there should be no images or anything on those pages) without needing to print the entire book (this will save Ink and Paper).

People could then just read the ebook on their PC's and see the DVD's and use the "workbook" to "play-along" with Ray (I'm trying to include some basic sight-reading in my first lessons so I'll be better prepared to tackle this in upcoming lessons).

Someone who would want to use TABS can use the Tabs and someone who wants to use the standard notation could black-out the tabs (if they want) without needing to use a permanent marker on the book (specially if it's a hard-copy of the book).

I think some standard layout would be ideal (like when you use GuitarPro to transcribe a song (and you can include credits and copyright information).

If they are sorted by chapter/page the student can even choose if they want to put it in the book (between the pages where the original is printed in the book) or in the front or back so they have easy access to all of them without needing to search through the book.

Well I hope this makes sense and is understandable, Else I typed this entire message for nothing
    Fender 2012 American Standard Precision Bass (Left-handed)
    Fender '59 Bassman LTD.

You can do a copy-and-paste thing with the musical pieces and transfer them to WORD, to be printed and used as stand alone documents. Then you can embiggen them to fit the whole page, turn the layout sideways, adjust the fit in many different ways.

Not all the diagrams are "grabbable", but here's how to find the ones that are.

Open the book on your computer, go to the piece of music you want to try, then left-click ONCE on the image. It's grabbable if the image turns blue. If it does, right-click and choose COPY IMAGE. Then open your word processor and paste it onto the blank page. Grab the edges of the picture and resize as needed. You can adjust margins, turn the image to landscape etc...

Makes nice copies to put on your music stand.

Sounds like so good advise.

only thing I would add as advise for others who think of using this is to set "keep aspect ratio" when resizing the images (or they might start to look funny).
    Fender '59 Bassman LTD.

Default Embiggen?!

I LOVE that word, Elmeaux! Can we copyright it? The thought of making a standardized pdf of the music is a great one, Patrick, and we have decided to do as you suggest. Please don't hold your breath, because we're already up to our earlobes around here, but we will get to it. Please feel free to prompt us with a reminder in a couple of months. Meantime, Elmeaux's suggestions are a great work-around.
    Thank you!
    Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by TLDTR View Post
    I LOVE that word, Elmeaux! Can we copyright it?

No can-do, Daahhhhling. It's from The Simpsons. I've been using it for years and larfing each time.

It's the Springfield town motto. "A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man."

Google it. (hee hee)
    Last edited by Elmeaux; 09-07-2010 at 04:00 PM.

Elmeaux,

That was too funny. I was wondering where you came up with that word.

BTW, great tip for the music. I'll definitely use it until the full version becomes available. These old eyes aren't what they used to be.

Thanks,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by jthomas353 View Post
    Elmeaux,

That was too funny. I was wondering where you came up with that word.

It's the opposite of "ensmallen."

A churlish spirit ensmallens the largest man.

Thumbs up Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by TLDTR View Post
    The thought of making a standardized pdf of the music is a great one, Patrick, and we have decided to do as you suggest. Please don't hold your breath, because we're already up to our earlobes around here, but we will get to it. Please feel free to prompt us with a reminder in a couple of months.
    Don't worry, I don't expect this to happen overnight. And it's better to give it some work so the end result is good then to do it quickly and only half.

About the reminder, do you think january 2011 is a good time ? IF you didn't release it before that it.

I'll set a reminder (for myself) so I don't forget to remind you
    If you feel it will take some more time, I can always change it to a later date.

And while we're on the subject.
    Maybe you can consider something like a "road-map" (if you don't use it already). You can use it internally or make it public (whatever you want) to keep track of what's to be done and by what deadline.

For example the roadmap could look like this :

September 2010 : Planned release of the Revision 1 of the TMBG Book
    October 2010 : Chat with Roy
    November 2010 : collection of MP3 files (lesson MP3's for study with MP3 Player) should be completely uploaded.
    February 2011 : Release of the Teach Me Lead Guitar Course.
    and so on.

I've seen this on other corporate website and it's a great tool both for the developers and the community, since it shows what you are working on and on what timeframe it is (it also provides some assurance that you are still working on it).

But as with all these suggestions, I'm just throwing up some ideas (had a few "Brainstorm" lessons years ago
    Fender '59 Bassman LTD.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick View Post

October 2010 : Chat with Roy
    Yes. I like this idea. As long as more of you come to the room. I imagine Roy's getting bored with simply listening to me yammer away.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmeaux View Post
    Yes. I like this idea. As long as more of you come to the room. I imagine Roy's getting bored with simply listening to me yammer away.
    I cannot promise anything (different timezone and weird working hours).
    And it was just an example
    Fender '59 Bassman LTD.