Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Church Camp Gig Report

Default Church Camp Gig Report

Well, still unwinding/decompressing from our big summer gig at the Church's District summer camp.

Played 13 times over the 7 days. Audiences ranged from 1100-1200 on Sundays to about 600 mid week, so approximately 10,000 people over the week. Had many compliments on our music over the week and were invited back again, but after 2 years in a row, we declined. As a group we talked discussed returning again next year, but decided it was time to let someone else step up the the plate. I have now played here 4 years. Twice I've sat in with another band, and now the last two years with our band. In addition to preparing and playing for our normal Sunday services, we spent a lot of time developing arrangements and new material for this gig over the previous 3 months and there was almost no downtime for the band at the event itself. The meeting area was abuzz with other speakers, meetings and activities so our practice/prep time was fitted in whenever available, so between playing twice a day and practice/prep, we had very little time to chill out.

We had different themes arranged during the week and that worked well, but we had a couple of curve balls tossed our way when the speaker asked us to play something entirely different for the closing. Luckily, with over 65 songs in our set list, we had something prepared that could be swapped in.

It is normally fairly hot there during the day with rain/thunderstorms at night. This year was the same, but the humidity was very high and that wreaked havoc on our guitars! Morning sessions were the worst - cool and damp making guitar necks and strings sticky (even though I frequently used the towels I always carry in each of my guitar cases) and wonky tuning that had to be corrected every time you got up to play. Even had to adjust the truss rod on my fretless as it was clattering. Thankfully my basses have all "normalized" now that I have them back home.

Great sound system (3 subs pumping out the bass!!!! ) so we managed to keep the stage volume reasonably low and could hear each other for cues etc. That, plus our familiarity with the material meant that things went quite smoothly.

Saturday night has been our "special" set night over the past two years. Last year we did a Beatles (Abby Row) kind of sound/feel, complete with tie-died clothes and some great video backdrops. This year it was 60/70s sounding music, but we broke out our black, long haired wigs during the first song and played the rest of the set in character. The video guy had some great, psychadelic backgrounds going. We had a lot of fun coming up with appropriate lyrics for tunes of the day. Lots of whooping, foot stomping and cheers when we finished that one.

Excellent speakers and great vibe at the camp. It is located on the side of a river about 15 miles out in the country, so is a largely self contained venue. There were well over 250 RVs/trailers there along with all available rooms/cabins rented and many walk-in attendees. The entire event is very family oriented, with folks spending the afternoons attending workshops or seminars, or golfing, tubing down the river, racing RC cars, in the pool, on the climbing wall (the zip line was down for major upgrading) at the playground or standing in line at ice cream shop. My grandson was there with us and he had a blast riding laps around the area on his bicycle when he wasn't doing chores for folks to raise money for missions.

Over all, a very good event. Lots of support and enthusiastic responses, good sound people to work with and a great sound system. We were tired, but happy with what we contributed. Now I'm looking forward to next year when I get to kick back, enjoy the vibe and a different band. I think a band from a neighbouring city has already stepped up for next year.

All sounds Really great to me, too bad you live to far from me, I would surely visit!! BUT!!! When me and my wife do plan a real vacation
    it is suppose to be CANADA!!! So one of these days when I do I will let you Canada folks know. What was suppose to happen is this.
    I have a real good friend of mine that lives in North Dakota, So I was planning on visiting him. So who like on the row here lives closest
    to N. Dakota and about how far does some of you Canada folks live from there? North Dakota that is? Let me know.

Line6bassman
    GO LOW!!!STAY HIGH!!!ON BASS THAT IS!!!

Sounds like a great gig, TobiasMan. Any pix or videos? Is there a website for the church's camp?

- low life -

There were videos, but they take them to distribute for the special speakers. They don't tape the music portions - I assume some copyright issues. Someone did take a few pics of the "wig" night event but, being the bassist, I was at the side and didn't get "featured" in any of the photos - and that's a very good thing. Black wig and white beards just don't go together well!!!

Used my Ernie Ball Slinky's on my fretless. It took quite a while for the initial "tackiness" of the roundwounds to go away, but they are still fairly rough to my fingers. Tone is nice and the roundwound brightness did cut through well. I think their overall tension must be somewhat lower than the MTDs I had on it before as I had to adjust the truss rod to stop them from making a nasty clanking sound on the fingerboard. Had to adjust once more during the gig, but when the appropriate adjustments were made, they played well and will stay on the fretless until they give up. Next for the MTD fretless is a set of Thomastik Infeld Jazz Flats. I love the slick feel of flats on a fretless.

Great report, TobiasMan. Thanks for sharing!

Ditto, TobiasMan. Excellent report, Thanks!!!
    Always remember to enjoy where you're at on the way to where you're going!!!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by line6bassman View Post
    I have a real good friend of mine that lives in North Dakota, So I was planning on visiting him. So who like on the row here lives closest
    to N. Dakota and about how far does some of you Canada folks live from there? North Dakota that is? Let me know.

Line6bassman
    I'm guessing that our favourite moderator, Elmeaux would be just across the border in Winterpeg. It's another 850 +/- miles from Winterpeg to Edmonchuk, where I am. There are several of us in Alberta. I'd have to check on the map to see who might be in Saskabush in between.

Quote Originally Posted by TobiasMan View Post
    I'm guessing that our favourite moderator, Elmeaux would be just across the border in Winterpeg. It's another 850 +/- miles from Winterpeg to Edmonchuk, where I am. There are several of us in Alberta. I'd have to check on the map to see who might be in Saskabush in between.

Yep...just north of North Dakota, am I. Never come here in winter. Never. Bad, bad, evil place in winter.

...but it's nice now...

- low life -

PS...bring a big cup. It's Slurpee season.

- low life -

OH!!! Yea!!! The place where one of my most favorite groups is from!!! I'm wondering if the original group would be together for a concert
    when I would come? Are if they even do ever all play together anymore? Not interested with the group without the original members, not even close......... Also love the bass lines!!! Soon as I get chance I'm still planning on doing a few TGW songs to put up here!!

Line6bassman

GO LOW!!!STAY HIGH!!!ON BASS THAT IS!!!