Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO add a song to your post.

Exclamation HOWTO add a song to your post.

Ever wanted to include a recorded song with you post, but don't want to record a video ? Well now you can !

In this short HOWTO I'm going to provide the needed information to post your music here in the Row.

First you need a SoundCloud account, SoundCloud is considered to be the YouTube for Music. (at the moment we only support SoundCloud).
    You can sign-up for a soundcloud account at : http://www.soundcloud.com
    Creating a basic account is free and allow you to create 3 sets (playlists) and 120 upload minutes. You can also go for a premium account which gives you more features but that's not needed for sharing music here.

If you have a SC account you can continue here :

1. Upload your song to SC (set it as public), you can do this from your browser or a desktop program that allows uploads (at the moment they have an uploader they call SCUP)

2. Go to YOU -> TRACKS
    3. Lookup the song you want to share and select share
    4. Highlight the text at the "Get the link" field (for example : http://soundcloud.com/patrick-kox/tm...ettin-on-the-1)
    5. Paste the link in your post
    make sure the URL is not set as a link in Vbulletin (it's underlined if it is), if it IS link highlight the entire URL and click the unlink button (globe with a red X)
    6. Highlight the link and click on the SC button. (Name:  20090727-cs9fpj834egp1ew8b14a9hhs7j.png
Views: 550
Size:  386 Bytes)
    7. Done.

Before you submit your post you can use the "Preview Post" button to check if it's all working.

Now, some important things to know :
    - Do NOT link to a playlist (set) since that doesn't work correctly
    - If you are an advanced user you can use the BB code instead of the SC button. ([ SC]your link[ /SC] without the spaces).
    - If you do not see the SC buctton (when posting a reply for example) use the BB code or click the "Go Advanced" button.

A posted song should look like this :
    http://soundcloud.com/patrick-kox/tmbg-lesson-05-gettin-on-the-1

I now also added code for SoundCloud Playlists/sets.
    For example here is the Bassment Rows Group set :

I did not include this as a button to avoid confusion with the one song code.
    Last edited by Patrick; 11-26-2012 at 09:37 AM.
    Fender 2012 American Standard Precision Bass (Left-handed)
    Fender '59 Bassman LTD.

To provide an easy way to find other members I just started the "Bassment Rows" group at SoundCloud.

Bassment Rows is the Unofficial group for all Thunderrow members.
    Sign-Up for a SoundCloud account and join the Group.

Once a member of this group you can choose what songs you want to be visible in the group, so your files are not added to it by default.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	icon-soundcloud.png 
Views:	442 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	2650
    Last edited by Patrick; 11-25-2012 at 08:49 AM.
    Fender '59 Bassman LTD.

Thanks, Patrick. Always looking out for the members. You're the best!

- low life -

All I can say now is : "SHOW ME THE MONE MUSIC" ... Hmm, somehow that sounds incorrect.

How about : "PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC BASS BOY" ?
    or
    "NOW GO TO YOUR ROOM AND DON'T COME OUT UNTIL YOU'VE UPLOADED A SONG" ?? but replace "room" with the location where you play/record your music
    Fender '59 Bassman LTD.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    To provide an easy way to find other members I just started the "Bassment Rows" group at SoundCloud.

Bassment Rows is the Unofficial group for all Thunderrow members.
    Sign-Up for a SoundCloud account and join the Group.

Once a member of this group you can choose what songs you want to be visible in the group, so your files are not added to it by default.
    I just signed up!! YAY!!

- low life -

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    5. Paste the link in your post
    6. Highlight the link and click on the SC button.
    7. Done.
    Patrick, there might a few bugs to work out with the soundcloud button.

When performing the above steps, no matter which soundcloud link is typed in, I wind up with your Gettin' On the Good Foot track (), as below:

http://soundcloud.com/me_bassin/groovy-groove

Hmm, will need to investigate some more I guess.

let's see if this works :
    http://soundcloud.com/patrick-kox/tmbg-lesson-04-mideck-blues

This is strange.
    It now looks that the code is working correctly for "regular" members but not for Administrators like me.
    I kept getting the error you now see in my posts but when I tried with a test account (regular member) the code seems to work correctly.

I'll have to look into this some more when I have the time.
    As it seems to work for other members now we can leave it as-is for now.
    Last edited by Patrick; 11-26-2012 at 09:20 AM.
    Fender '59 Bassman LTD.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassix View Post
    Patrick, there might a few bugs to work out with the soundcloud button.

When performing the above steps, no matter which soundcloud link is typed in, I wind up with your Gettin' On the Good Foot track (), as below:

http://soundcloud.com/me_bassin/groovy-groove

I didn't get the Gettin On The God Foot audio. When I clicked it, it played the Groovy Groove.

- low life -

Quote Originally Posted by Elmeaux View Post
    I didn't get the Gettin On The God Foot audio. When I clicked it, it played the Groovy Groove.
    I think you loaded the page after I fixed the code.
    As I said in the post above, it now works for our "regular" users, but when I try to embed a soundfile it doesn't work as it should.
    I contacted the developer on the vBulletin forums to see if he knows what might cause this problem (I'm guessing it's somekind of permissions error with HTML or something like that).

When I thought it was fixed I actually (by accident) included my Gettin' on the good foot file which caused every song to be my gettin' on the good foot and not the intended one (that's now corrected).
    Fender '59 Bassman LTD.

Found it !

For some reason when I paste the URL for one of my files here vBulletin turns it into a Hyperlink by default.
    having the hyperlink present AND using the SC code causes a conflict which causes the error in showing the Soundcloud player.

So, it all should work fine now as long as you make sure the URL is not displayed as a link in the forums, you can always highlight the URL and click in unlink button (the globe with a red X).
    Fender '59 Bassman LTD.