+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rocksmith

Default Rocksmith

Anybody heard of this? I don't remember seeing it. Some may find it usable.

Line6bassmanTR

GO LOW!!!STAY HIGH!!!ON BASS THAT IS!!!

looks cool i don,t know any thing about ps3 or xbox.
    Let's Play Bass!

Looks similar to Rockband. I learn a lot of great basslines from Rockband. In fact, I've a recording of one of my practice lessons way back from when I first started the game. I'll post it later. Any way, any how, right?

- low life -

4. Default

I have Rocksmith since launch and they only added the bass element this past September. It was announced a while back and I couldn't wait for it.

That being said, here is my take on it:

It's a GREAT game and a lot of fun but as a beginner, I found myself throwing any technique I'd learned out the window in an attempt to keep up with the approaching notes. I didn't view that as a good thing. The interface is clunky, loading times are ridiculously long and you have to tune your guitar before every single thing you do. The amount of time it takes from the time you turn on the console and begin playing a song can be nearly 10 minutes. After you finish a song, there are many clicks and load times to get back to the song list and again you have to choose, then tune, then play. It's quite frustrating. I think a lot of the "love" for Rocksmith is because it truly is the only game of its kind and almost got it right. Rock Band Pro requires a specific guitar and has a terrible vertical string layout. Rocksmith lets you plug any guitar or bass in and comes with the cable to connect.

Another issue is that Rocksmith, unlike Rock Band and other games, has a dynamic difficulty thing going on there. That means if you are playing a song and get a phrase correct-- whether perfect or just by the skin of your teeth-- the game thinks you've mastered that phrase and next time it throws even more notes at you.

Again, it's a great game but I have to wonder what exactly they were thinking when they put it together. My initial joy at the game was that there would be arcade like games to teach you techniques: moving around the fretboard, scales, picking different strings, slides, etc., but the geniuses at Rocksmith decided to make them lives based so if you miss a few times, the game ends and you have to exit, go back and wait for it to load up again. These mini games are the perfect beginner's tools and if one could stay in there practicing until they wanted to stop, it would be so much better.

I am better at playing it now than I was when the bass part launched but I still find myself flailing at times so I don't play it too often. There is a new game coming in early 2013 called Bandfuse that looks way more like a learning tool than Rocksmith. It has bass and guitar, adjustable difficulty levels, indicates not only what fret and string but what finger to use as well, and has a very nice, clean interface. I am really looking forward to that.

Quote Originally Posted by bassischill View Post
    Another issue is that Rocksmith, unlike Rock Band and other games, has a dynamic difficulty thing going on there. That means if you are playing a song and get a phrase correct-- whether perfect or just by the skin of your teeth-- the game thinks you've mastered that phrase and next time it throws even more notes at you.
    I think this is good and bad. GOOD - it keeps you on your toes. BAD - sometimes you might just want to have some laid-back fun with no added challenges. I haven't tried it though, so I'm just thinking out loud.

- low life -

I have been consistently frustrated by all of the band "games". My son had Rockband a few years ago and I honestly tried to play the bass on it. That exercise had everything to do with gamer skills and absolutely nothing to do with playing the bass. I just don't have time for that.

I play the bass, not a game. I get a whole lot more enjoyment out of transcribing the bass part from a new song and finally nailing it than garnering points in a video game. MHO anyway.

Here is my Rockband play-out of the isolated bass track to Enter Sandman. The bass comes in at about 30 seconds.

I slowed it down to 80%, a workable speed for a beginner - I think I only tripped up on one note, but I must have snagged a piece of it because it gave me 100%. YAY!

After I had created this "practice-track", I used it to teach myself to play the song on my real bass. All you have to do is transcribe the game-notes into real-bass notes and make it happen. You can write them down or just commit them to memory.

Playing the game has little to do with playing the real bass, but it can provide a valuable resource. It's a great teaching tool. If you were trying to learn by listening to the real song with all the instruments, you might not hear the bassline as well as when you isolate the track.

I've mastered quite a few songs this way and I love it. Love, love, LOVE listening to Jason Newsted tear it up!

Anyway...enjoy!

Last edited by Elmeaux; 12-30-2013 at 07:11 AM.

- low life -

8. Default

You were trying to play the five color button bass right? I'm asking because Rock Band later incorporated real guitar and bass into the game but to me they went about it the wrong way. There were two guitars that were compatible: a plastic one with over 100 buttons shaped like strings or a genuine Fender that was just under $300. If you went with the Fender, you also needed an adapter that was another $40.

Many people who knew how to play already were annoyed that they couldn't just plug their own guitar in and play and many new people from the plastic-only side of the game had to shell out a lot of money if they wanted to get into the pro version. The vertical string layout in RB makes it way too confusing as the on screen notes are shifting left to right but on your guitar that means you are moving up and down. No toggle to switch views. Bleh.

Worse even! No bass support. Since you had to use proprietary guitars to play, they were both 6 string guitars and you could use the bottom four strings to play bass. Just not the same.

Here's a screenshot of a bass track from BandFuse. It's clean and doesn't use any bells and whistles. The colors denote which finger to use.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-12-02 at 8.30.33 AM.jpg 
Views:	397 
Size:	16.6 KB 
ID:	2656

Hopefully, this game gets it right.

Yeah, just the standard thingie that comes with the game. The pic you sent looks way more realistic for learning, but I just seem to have a natural knack for Rockband's visual "monkey-see, monkey-do" approach, even though it doesn't resemble a bass at all.

I don't have too much trouble transcribing the game notes to real ones to play on my bass, but the song has to be reasonable to my skill level or I can get in a little over my head.

- low life -

10. Default

I love playing bass on Rock Band with the traditional 5 button controller. It's what totally got me into wanting to learn real bass!

+ Reply to Thread