+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Rocksmith

@line6bassman

In the options menu you can choose to invert the strings so that they present more in tablature form. The "note highway" will still be present, but the "red" E-string will be on the bottom. Also, there is a "lefty" option for people that need the fret board to be "backwards". As a side note, DR Strings actuall offers a "Rocksmith" set of strings that are red, yellow, blue, and orange for anyone that wishes to have their strings the same color as the in game presentation.

@Elmeaux

Yes, Rocksmith 2014 offers online DLC. All of the songs published for the original Rocksmith are playable in Rocksmith 2014, and Ubisoft continues to add new music every two weeks. As a result, there are nearly 300 additional songs to be purchased and played. Since I owned the original Rocksmith, when I initially set up my Rocksmith 2014 file (xbox 360) I was offered the opportunity to also import the 50 or so songs that were on the original Rocksmith for $10. As a result I have almost 120 songs available for playing and nearly 300 other songs to purchase if I so desire.

@TobiasMan

Rocksmith 2014 uses a real bass and not a cheap plastic peripheral. The "game" comes with a 1/4" to USB cable and you plug directly into your system or computer and play. While you are 100% correct that 'Guitar Hero' and 'Rock Band' offered nothing even close to real guitar play, the products today allow you to pick up your own personal bass and play along to some of the greatest music ever recorded note for note to the original score. For me, a beginner, it is frustrating, head pounding, guitar smashing, throw the tv out the window hard work. But I imagine that it could be tons of fun for someone that actually knows what they are doing!
    Last edited by Noel1983; 12-30-2013 at 01:21 AM.
    Ibanez SR1200
    Ibanez AFB200
    Carvin MB210

Since this thread was originally started Rocksmith has come out with a new version, Rocksmith 2014, and after a year's worth of delays, Band Fuse: Rock Legends has been released. (I now realize that Ditto reviewed Rocksmith 2014)

I have both products. I tried to present a comparative review of both products, but it got too long for the forum page to post. After spending three hours writing the review (and losing what I wrote), I just gave up and didn't write the review again.

Anyway, it is the same story for those products. They continue to be extremely hard work. Each of them have different strengths and weaknesses. Neither of them are perfect, and, in my opinion, neither of them are really capable of teaching a player to play the music that they offer from memory to a person that is a beginner with their instrument. Rocksmith 2014 comes closer, but the crazy auto leveling system continues to handicap its teaching abilities.

Rocksmith 2014 has a lot of great technique challenges that range from beginner classes to master classes. Band Fuse's technique videos are an embarrassing joke. The entire bass lesson "library" consists of Bootsy Collins talking across 7 videos that have no interactivity. And the longest video is still less than 5 minutes.

The most brilliant and innovative part of Rocksmith 2014 is the "session mode". In session mode you can choose the instruments you play with and it has everything from a banjo to a rainstorm. Then you choose which scales you want to use as a rough guide. Then you decide what key you want to play in, and what tempo you want to play at, and whether or not those choices can change on the fly. Finally you can choose whether you want the "room" to sound like various sized clubs or arenas. Once you start the session, and all of those choices don't take but five minutes, you just start to jam on your bass, and the "band" that you chose just jumps in and starts playing along to your lead. It's really cool.
    Last edited by Noel1983; 12-30-2013 at 01:10 AM.
    Ibanez SR1200
    Ibanez AFB200
    Carvin MB210

Even though it is slightly off topic for the 'Rocksmith' forum thread, I thought that I would post a video of Band Fuse: Rock Legends since I mentioned it here.

In contrast to Rocksmith (which is the better product overall), Band Fuse presents in tablature form. The different colors suggest the finger that should be used to play the note:
    Purple= Open
    Green= 1st
    Red= 2nd
    Yellow= 3rd
    Blue= 4th

Also, Band Fuse has 5 static difficulty levels:
    Level 1= Absolute Beginner
    Level 2= Beginner Gaining Confidence
    Level 3= Advanced Techniques Being Introduced
    Level 4= Expert Play
    Level 5= Note for Note
    Plus you can turn all the notes off and play from memory.

This video was recorded on level 2, because I am a beginner just gaining confidence. I'm sorry that the audio isn't great and the bass gets lost but at least you can see the differences in presentation.
    Last edited by Noel1983; 12-30-2013 at 02:01 AM.
    Ibanez SR1200
    Ibanez AFB200
    Carvin MB210

Good job! I like the idea of using a real bass versus a toy controller, but all bass is good bass. I'll take it all.

- low life -

I purchased Rocksmith about a year ago on the advice of a friend in order to learn a few new songs on the bass. I used it for Boston's "Peace of Mind" and eventually did learn to play it, but for the first couple of weeks I was learning and dealing with the new program more than I was actually learning the song. Once I got used to the software I found that many of the runs presented really weren't the most efficient way to play this song and actually added to the difficulty level in order to get it up to speed. Still, it's a great tool for beginners. I had a lot of fun jamming with the virtual band on bass and guitar.

I bought Rocksmith 2014 around May of this year. I have never had so much trouble getting a program to run properly. After hours on the phone with the tech support people and installing it on multiple systems........it still would not work reliably. I finally got it to function, most of the time, but was then disappointed with the way it's laid out and the interface in general. I am sure some people find it very useful, but that has not been my experience. I should probably give it another shot though. My opinions on many things have changed significantly from what they were when I first stated learning to play the bass guitar and I haven't loaded up Rocksmith in months.

I hate those "game" based, computer "simulations".

99% are nothing like playing a bass guitar and they simply frustrate the life out of me. My son had one a few years ago. Tried it and I soon had a head ache.

I think the basis of my issue is the way they present the next note to play - totally non-intuitive to me. I never see my music coming down the path towards me like the typical game presentation.

Play a bass, not a game. . . .
    Last edited by TobiasMan; 11-10-2014 at 12:12 PM.

I still love Rockband. Has nothing to do with simulating REAL bass, but it's a great game. Once you learn a song on Rockband, it can actually make it easier to learn on a real bass. I think the game is settling out from its heyday, but I have hundreds of songs to enjoy, so I'm not worried.

- low life -

+ Reply to Thread