+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pedal tuner - where have you been all my life?

Default Pedal tuner - where have you been all my life?

My husband got me a pedal tuner for Christmas, and I can't believe how much faster it is to tune with a pedal versus a handheld tuner!

I can't recommend this tuner enough: Korg Pitch Black Chromatic Tuner.

The readout is large and very bright. It's not too sensitive, so it's easy to get to where you need to be. My hubby's rack-mounted tuner is awful, the display is very spastic, and I find it hard to tune to.

GAS...always. If they build it, I want it.

- low life -

I have two Boss pedal tuners (an older TU2 model and a new TU3). I also have a handheld Korg CA30 tuner. The handheld I only use when one of my pedal tuners is not available. I find that the pedal tuners are definitely way faster than hand held, and way more discrete than rack mount tuners.

My new TU3 locks in very quickly and finds the low Bs with no hunting whatsoever.

I have the Polytune polyphonic tuner. It lets me both check all strings are in tune simultaneously and also tune them individually.

Another benefit is that it isolates the guitar from the amp, for example, if I want temporarily to take the bass off without any rogue noise.

I have to say I really like the Planet Waves NS headstock tuner as well. It hides completely behind the headstock and works via vibration.
    Shine on you crazy diamond.....

Quote Originally Posted by PaulUK View Post
    I have the Polytune polyphonic tuner. It lets me both check all strings are in tune simultaneously and also tune them individually.

Another benefit is that it isolates the guitar from the amp, for example, if I want temporarily to take the bass off without any rogue noise.

I have to say I really like the Planet Waves NS headstock tuner as well. It hides completely behind the headstock and works via vibration.
    My husband has a headstock tuner, not the planet waves one though. It works great on an acoustic guitar, but I found that it didn't work well on bass at all. It would take ages to register the vibrations. Does the planet waves one need to be stuck to the guitar (via sticky tape or something like that) or is it removable?

It has a clamp which holds it firmly and is easily removed. I use mine on my acoustic bass.

http://www.planetwaves.com/pwMobileP...&productid=592

I have a pedal tuner now, got it a couple months ago. It's a Boss TU-3. The thing works great and what I really like about it is that it automatically mutes your bass when you activate it. So I use to mute and tune between songs when we do a gig.

'Tis a great tuner, Troy!!!

Nicky,
    I think the clip on tuners work best on acoustic instruments. The ones I have tried have not worked consistently on a bass. I don't think the vibrations from an 8 or 9 lb bass are generally enough to consistently drive a clip on tuner - at least not the ones I've seen.

Default Pedal tuner - where have you been all my life?

I have a Snark SN8 clip-on tuner on my 6 string slab bass. It happily handles all of the strings, including the low B.

It is ugly though......

+ Reply to Thread