Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Lesson 101 - How to play "Black Sheep" (from the Deeper Blues Album : "Dig the Hole")

1. Default

Dave, thank you so much for this! Wow, my fingers are like deformed pretzels doing it the above way. I'm still in the "fingers won't stay in the hovered position all the time" mode so my pinky flies away from the fretboard when I hit the 3rd fret with the 3rd finger. I'm gonna work that for a while.

Thanks again for the help! This song is an absolute blast.

2. Default

Is anyone actually working on this song with plans to post audio or video?

I've been working with Lane on the sheet music, there were some minor problems with his original files.
    He's reviewing my edits now so I hope to be able to upload the corrected edits soon.
    Fender 2012 American Standard Precision Bass (Left-handed)
    Fender '59 Bassman LTD.

Quote Originally Posted by bassischill View Post
    Is anyone actually working on this song with plans to post audio or video?
    I've been enjoying learning/playing this song alot. The little extras he throws in there are very fun to play and have really expanded my ability to make up my own stuff. Hadn't planned on making a video though.

I just uploaded Revision 1 of the sheet music (both WITH and WITHOUT the TABS) so if you are using the old sheet music please download this corrected version.

Lane and Patrick
    Fender 2012 American Standard Precision Bass (Left-handed)
    Fender '59 Bassman LTD.

Hey, everyone! Glad to see such great response to the first lesson. I've been away a few days and was very surprised by the number of responses. Trying to remember everything I read, and reply:

I'd LOVE to see others do videos of their progress, so feel free to do one.

As for the fingering on the "jump" phrase... yes, it's 2 2 1 2 3 2 4 2... and yes, it's because of the 6 note, which needs to be played with the first finger.

A quick run-down on Nashville Number System. Instead of writing out note LETTERS - C D E F G A B C, you replace them with numbers - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1 (8). It not only makes it easier to transpose from on key to another, it's a LOT easier to hear FOUR over a jamming band than it is to hear GEE... or CEE... or DEE, which all sound the same.

Blues bands use this a lot. "It's just a 1 4 5 tune, with a 2 5 turnaround." (I'm doing a lesson on this; don't sweat it for now.)

I think I hit all the high points. If not, please ask/comment again. And thanks again for all the great response. I'm already at work on the next lesson, and we're doing some tech things to make them look better. Onward and upward!!
    Ask not what Bass can do for you...
    Ask what YOU can do for Bass.

Coming Soon:
    The View From Here

Join me on the Web:
    LaneBaldwin.com
    BassLessonsHQ.com

LIKE me on Facebook:
    Lane Baldwin
    Bass Lessons HQ

Follow me on Twitter

Hey Brother Lane I still can't get past your mama hanging up the phone on you!!!! How can I learn this song when I can't stop laughing
    past your mama??? Still to funny for me!! HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And a Heeeee!!! Heeeee!! Seriously to much for my heart!!!

Line6bassmanTR Still laughing!!!
    GO LOW!!!STAY HIGH!!!ON BASS THAT IS!!!