+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More Fun Than a Lump of Coal

Default More Fun Than a Lump of Coal

Hi all, I thought I’d share my little adventure with my Xmas present from my wife. She was at me for a while about what I would like for Xmas and my answers were always anything to do with bass. I had been talking about wanting a new bass for a while and also about the possibility of building one myself. So to my surprise on Xmas morning I opened my very large gift, to find a box of bits. I do love a challenge.
    After some research on the interwebz my adventure began. First, a quick and easy headstock design and cut out, then a couple of hours of sanding to get it all smooth. The body was already cut out, routed and sanded. I did have to do some minor adjustments with the neck joint and it’s still not perfect but I can always go back to that later. I decided I wanted a natural wood finish and a lot a builders were talking about tru oil gun stock finish, decided, and very happy with the choice, 6 coats neck and body with a light sand after 3rd coat. I gave the back of the neck a light sand with some 400 wet and dry to give it a nice smooth finish, works well.
    I had given some thought to upgrading some of the hardware but in the end decided to just go with what it came with and see how it turned out. So, out with the screwdriver and a soldering iron and a couple of hours later she was ready for a set up. I am still getting a little bit of fret buzz which I’m assuming will be some more tweeking of the truss rod.
    Overall, very happy with the result, and it doesn’t sound too bad, let me know what you think.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Headstock before.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	2821Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Headstock after.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	2822Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oiling the body.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	2823Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ready to string.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	2824Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final Result.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	2825
    !!!!!!

Looks good. I really love the headstock design. You should be proud. I don't have the patience or talent to build one.

Jazzy Man Jazzy!!!

Line6bassmanTR
    GO LOW!!!STAY HIGH!!!ON BASS THAT IS!!!

Amazing! Kits are great! I love the way you left her with a natural finish.

- low life -

Thanks, the kits do make it quite easy and I've got the bug now. I'm already planning another build, I'd like to do a hollow body for my daughter. Also starting to plan a 5 string for myself, but I want to pick and choose the parts myself this time, have a bit more input. Best start pushing those pennies into the piggy bank.
    !!!!!!

I think you scored. That is one pretty looking bass, nice work RubberSoul. Not only that, in picture 3 you have a very nice bass, palmtree, and sunshine.

Very nice, RubberSoul. You should enter her in the Skin Deep Contest!!!
    Always remember to enjoy where you're at on the way to where you're going!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFlame46 View Post
    Very nice, RubberSoul. You should enter her in the Skin Deep Contest!!!
    Always happy to give member basses a shot at the crown.

- low life -

Great job!
    EBMM Dargie II Bongo, Carvin Brian Bromberg B24, Carvin LB76, Fender MIJ mid-80s P Bass, '75 Gibson Ripper Fretless
    Genz Benz NEOX400, Genz Benz NEO-112T

nice looking over all i bet it was a blast to but together. way to go i love any thing to do with wood working .i would love to put one together.looked ay a few .let us know how it sounds and would you do it again ?
    Let's Play Bass!

+ Reply to Thread