+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Following a guitar player

Default Following a guitar player

This is probably obvious but it was a nice revelation to me. I've been paying attention to what our guitar player has been doing and I've come to notice that the guitar's top 4 strings are tuned the same as the bass. So I can watch to see what is the lowest note he is fretting in the chord to see what the root note is and follow right along with out him having to say what chord he is playing. Very cool!

Yep, absolutely - except if he's playing with a capo or playing barred chords

He does play barred chords sometimes but I can usually follow along ok but I get messed up when I think he's barring up on the E string when he is barring the root on the A string. Then I just tell him, "I'm playing the 5th"

Something good and something pretty bad concerning this for me. The good is since I've been playing guitar for over 40 years and know
    all my barred chords and chords etc on guitar it's very easy for me to watch a guitar player hands and know what to play on bass
    that's the good part!! But the bad part about now being a guitar player is since I've watched hands so long looking at them playing the
    fret board and we have talked about this around here before is that I have a terrible problem with the way a fret board diagram is set
    up with the E on the bottom starting at the left with a F even talking about this get me confused if I'm saying that right? Now in my minds eye are you face me with your bass and play notes I can call out what notes your playing without hardly thinking about!!! OK so that's my good and bad thoughts on the matter. Just thought I'd bring that up.
    And by the way again WHY AGAIN IS A FRET BOARD DIAGRAM SET UP THAT WAY???? Last point on this for me, If I'm learning and looking
    over tabs etc I have to look and learn twice as hard because of the way it's set up makes we want to stand on my head...
    OH by the way Troy if you mess up when your looking at the guitar players hand JUST TAKE THE FIFTH (AMERICAN STYLE)

Line6bassmanTR
    Last edited by line6bassman; 02-02-2013 at 07:31 AM.
    GO LOW!!!STAY HIGH!!!ON BASS THAT IS!!!

+ Reply to Thread