+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why music theory is important to me

Default Why music theory is important to me

It's a slow, life-long process I think..... learning music theory, but the results speak for themselves.
    (this isn't me playing...... ohhhh no. Someday though)

http://youtu.be/77fRudFayag

That is so beautiful. Thanks for finding that. Oh, to be that good, eh?

- low life -

Yea, would love to be able to sit down and play with that kind of expression. Some day it will be so. I like in that video, there are 2 basses playing, I think. Makes me wonder about the possibility of having a band with drums, piano, and 2 basses (and an occassional saxophone)

Quote Originally Posted by TroyJames View Post
    It's a slow, life-long process I think..... learning music theory, but the results speak for themselves.
    (this isn't me playing...... ohhhh no. Someday though)

http://youtu.be/77fRudFayag
    Daaayuum. I'm feeling quite ill right now.

Theory isn't always the most fun, but it's hard to argue against the results!

Below is a link to a (long) video of Alphonso Johnson talking about what he practices and what he has his students practice. Thought you (and the rest of Thunder Row) might enjoy it as it really gave me some new ideas on incorporating theory into my practices in a fun way.

http://bcove.me/zs45p2df

5. Default

I'll have to watch the two videos later, but I totally agree with starting and continuing the process of learning the language of written music. I carry with me Hal Leonard's 'Pocket Music Theory' and pull it out when I've nothing going on, for instance, last week when I was at the Dr.'s office waiting to be called, etc.!

I also constantly review and practice reading notes from the bass clef rather than depending on tabs. I may start with tabs to get the notes down, then switch to the clef for rythm....works for me. I must admit to having a background in piano as a young guy, and that certainly helps!

I don't know if this is just me are me being under the weather with working too much and just trying to finish packing up and getting this moving to the new house done??? I love the playing by Alphonso Johnson and all of that but for some reason the Acoustic Fret-less
    does nothing for me but that's me. I've owed a Acoustic bass and it's also on the Line6 bass and it's OK for it's purpose at times but the fret-less doesn't do anything for me sound wise. Anybody really like a acoustic Fret-less!! OK Busters whataya think?
    OK, off for an Alka-Seltzer!!

Last edited by line6bassman; 02-06-2013 at 02:26 PM.
    GO LOW!!!STAY HIGH!!!ON BASS THAT IS!!!

i have been spending a lot of time on the scales . every day i try to play . some of the scales some times .i play the maj.scales or the flat maj .scales and so on . has helped me a lot. but i am still learning and having fun doing it so that is ok. with me.this has been a long slow course for me but i still love it . and am moving forward.i too am trying to learn more music theory . and hello to every one
    Let's Play Bass!

Quote Originally Posted by Bassix View Post
    Daaayuum. I'm feeling quite ill right now.

Theory isn't always the most fun, but it's hard to argue against the results!

Below is a link to a (long) video of Alphonso Johnson talking about what he practices and what he has his students practice. Thought you (and the rest of Thunder Row) might enjoy it as it really gave me some new ideas on incorporating theory into my practices in a fun way.

http://bcove.me/zs45p2df
    Well dang it. I very much wanted to see what you had posted Bassix but all I am getting is that I don't have the proper version of Adobe Flash installed, even though I just now installed the version it said I needed. Will keep working on that and hopefuly it will resolve itself.

Quote Originally Posted by edonovanl View Post
    I'll have to watch the two videos later, but I totally agree with starting and continuing the process of learning the language of written music. I carry with me Hal Leonard's 'Pocket Music Theory' and pull it out when I've nothing going on, for instance, last week when I was at the Dr.'s office waiting to be called, etc.!

I also constantly review and practice reading notes from the bass clef rather than depending on tabs. I may start with tabs to get the notes down, then switch to the clef for rythm....works for me. I must admit to having a background in piano as a young guy, and that certainly helps!
    That sounds a great idea Edonovanl. I just recently joined the modern world and got an iPhone. Was pleased to find and download an app that lets me practice bass clef and treble clef sight reading as well as interval ear training. I really enjoy our futuristic world sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by line6bassman View Post
    I don't know if this is just me are me being under the weather with working too much and just trying to finish packing up and getting this moving to the new house done??? I love the playing by Alphonso Johnson and all of that but for some reason the Acoustic Fret-less
    does nothing for me but that's me. I've owed a Acoustic bass and it's also on the Line6 bass and it's OK for it's purpose at times but the fret-less doesn't do anything for me sound wise. Anybody really like a acoustic Fret-less!! OK Busters whataya think?
    OK, off for an Alka-Seltzer!!

Can't speak to any of this L6. I have no experiance with acoustic basses. The video brought back memories of my father though, Sunday morning hangovers when he'd save a little bit of the seltzer for me because I liked it.

+ Reply to Thread