+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Installed thumb rest and fret wear....

1. Default Installed thumb rest and fret wear....

I've recently purchased a Ibanez SR1405E Premium bass (5-string mahogany w Spruce top, hasn't arrived yet) from Guitar Center. Before I ordered it I called about the condition and was told by their bass guy that it had some wear between the pickups where the previous owner rested his thumb (he thinks), but otherwise it's in great shape. So my question is two-fold:

1. Does anyone have any experience with installed thumb rests that I may consider using to cover the wear, and
    2. If a bass player played enough to wear a spot on the finish where his thumb might rest, doesn't it seem like there would be some advanced fret wear as well?

Anyway, I have 45 days to return with no questions asked from Guitar Center so I'm considering it a trial run.

Maybe the fretboard or neck had been replaced. Did he mention that?

I got replacement thumb rests from this man...

http://www.classicguitarboxes.com/thumb_rests.php

Very high quality products (he makes them himself)... not too expensive... ships all over the world.

I don't know if they'd be enough to cover the wear spots, but you could try. Guy's thumb rests are "Fender sized" and made to emulate the originals on Fender basses.

- low life -

Take it to a luthier and have him check it out.
    Nothing like a Great Bottom end!

+ Reply to Thread