Thread: New Amp inal Choices - Looking for opinions

1. Default New Amp inal Choices - Looking for opinions

I am about to upgrade my amp. My final choice is either the Genz Benz Shuttle 6.2 or the Aguilar Tone Hammer 500. For cabinets it's either the Genz Benz STL-2-12T (the 1-12 that goes with the Shuttle 6.2) or the DNA DNS 112N. I'm willing to mix and match. If you've played any of these, I'd like your opinions especially if you have compared the cabinets. Thanks.

As a bass player once, or a million times said.......... "Tens Tens and more Tens it is all about the 10s" I think you would be better off with a 2X10 cab, instead of a 1X12. But it depends on what you are doing or planning to do. There is a big thread discussion about amps and cabs where you can get ideas based on what you are going to do with them IE: just play at home or do you plan on playing out.
    Nothing like a Great Bottom end!

Wow, good choices. To preface my comments, this is just a matter of personal taste. I think you can't go wrong with either of these amps. It may come down to power v. cost. That said, I own the TH500 and absolutely love it. We play out probably once a month and volume is never a problem. In fact, I usually have to dial it back. The TH500 has a big phat bass tone. My buddy has the Shuttle 6.2 running through a carvin BRX 210 cab. It sounds great as well (I have played through it some). For me, the Genz Benz sounds a bit more high fidelity. But with the GB, you get 600 watts as opposed to 500 with the TH. But for me the TH does it all, I can get the high fi funky sounds and I can dial in the vintage motown sound as well. But they are both great amps. If you have not seen these, check it out:

I have a Aguilar GS 112 that I run it through, which has been be plenty thus far, although if I can find another for a good price, I will buy :-)

I am afraid I can't help you on those particular cabinets. I went with 112 just for size, although the GS is a heavy sucker. It is small enough to throw in my truck but beefy enough to fill any room I have played thus far..

Good luck with it.

AB

LW Gold Standard 5
    Carvin/Kiesel - Icon5, BB75, PB5, LB70
    Fender - Pbass (DiMarzio Ultra P pickups, Warmoth Jazz neck), American Deluxe PJ, MIJ Walnut Jazz, American Elite Jazz
    Alembic Spoiler
    Rickenbacker 4003s
    Rickenbacker 4001 (1977)
    Spector Euro 4 LX
    Ken Smith BT4
    Musicman Stingray
    Power by Carvin B1000 through Markbass 2x10 Traveler (x2) (MarkBass Nano for practice/small gigs)

Somebody turn up the Bass!

www.engine14.com
    www.facebook.com/engine14band[/SIZE]

The DNA112 is one hammering cab. Check out the David Nordschow Amplification site http://dnaamps.com/ or the forum http://dnaamps.com/forums/ for some reviews of that cab (lots of threads under the Amps and Speaker Cabs area).

5. Default

Ditto, I agree with you on the 2-10 issue, but the choice is weight driven. In the GB cabinets, 2-10s are 10 lbs heavier than 1-12 and in the DNS thay are about 15lbs heavier.
    Last edited by JohnMSchiavone_Bass; 03-11-2013 at 07:54 AM.

I have a couple of 10" cabs and they are fast and responsive, but some of the 12" units are just as responsive and provide a bit rounder sound.