Thread: Bergantino HS410

Default Bergantino HS410

I LOVE my little Promethean combo. It's exactly what I needed for playing out...manageable size/weight, decent power and a nice sound. I had no immediate intention of upgrading, even though for some time I've known I wanted to upgrade to a standalone cab/amp for playing/recording.

A month or so ago, we may a trip out to this huge music shop in New York near Albany (Parkway Music- highly recommended BTW!). I wanted to try out some of their pedals, and one of the sales guys set me up in a nice playing room with a Rickenbacker 4003 to try out the effects. In this room was a cab by the name of Bergantino, which I'd never heard of before. Turned the thing on (running a GK head) and was dumbfounded by the sound this thing made...absolutely incredible. I can't explain quite how incredible, since I've never heard anything remotely like it before. Really articulate lows, lovely buttery mids and fantastic treble that sounded great with the Rick. That old used Berg HT322 has haunted me ever since...

Fast forward to this weekend. I was browsing Guitar Center's used gear, and happened to check out bass amps. Lo and behold, the Boston store had a Bergantino HS410. I grabbed my Rick and headed into Boston to see what this beasty was all about. It was used, of course, but in almost mint condition with just a few scuffs on the corner protectors and the price was good. Started with an Orange Terror 500 head. The cab itself was amazing...but the head felt like a bit of a one-trick pony. The sound was good, but not terribly versatile. Moved onto an Ampeg SVT head (the solid state one) and really disliked that. It didn't seem to play very well with the Rick. Then grabbed an Gallien Kreuger 700RB-II. Holy moly, what a great head paired with that cab! Very clean, extremely versatile...I was in love. If you ever get the chance to play a Berg, do try it out! They are a bargain used!

So if you made it through all of that blah-blah, here is a pic as a reward.

Specs: Bergantino HS 410: 4-10" woofers w/ 56oz. magnet, vented pole piece, high intelligibility tweeter, power handling - 800 watts rms, custom phase - coherent crossover with tweeter level control, frequency response: 44hz - 15khz, sensitivity: 103db • 1 watt/1meter, impedance: 4 ohms, dimensions: 22 3/4"W x 25 1/2"H x 15 1/2"D, weight: 85lbs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Berg HS410.jpg 
Views:	384 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	2928

That looks like a real barn-burner for bass thunder! Wow! Thanks for the post, Nicki!!

- low life -

You are absolutely guaranteed to raise the roof with that rig, Nicki! I'll add Bergantino to the list of cabs to try if I upgrade to a 4x10 to see how it compares to the cab that just blew me away, the Mesa/Boogie PowerHouse.

If you are shopping 410s, add an Eden D410XLT or 410XST to the list, along with one of David Nordschow's DNS410s.

That thing just look like it KICKS A$$! I am sure it sounds great and makes teeth rattle :-)

LW Gold Standard 5
    Carvin/Kiesel - Icon5, BB75, PB5, LB70
    Fender - Pbass (DiMarzio Ultra P pickups, Warmoth Jazz neck), American Deluxe PJ, MIJ Walnut Jazz, American Elite Jazz
    Alembic Spoiler
    Rickenbacker 4003s
    Rickenbacker 4001 (1977)
    Spector Euro 4 LX
    Ken Smith BT4
    Musicman Stingray
    Power by Carvin B1000 through Markbass 2x10 Traveler (x2) (MarkBass Nano for practice/small gigs)

Somebody turn up the Bass!

www.engine14.com
    www.facebook.com/engine14band[/SIZE]

So you purchased the 700Watt head and CAB?

WOW. 700 Watts is a huge output through 4X10. YEA you will NEVER need to UPGRADE again...

Nice set up.
    Nothing like a Great Bottom end!

Quote Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
    So you purchased the 700Watt head and CAB?

WOW. 700 Watts is a huge output through 4X10. YEA you will NEVER need to UPGRADE again...

Nice set up.
    The 700RB actually outputs 480 watts. I tried a 1001RB, as well, which outputs 700 watts and it was totally overkill. The 700RB already gets crazy loud, without coming close to the total power available out of the cab.

I can't see any situation at this point where I'd actually need those 700 watts. I already feel like I can liquify my organs standing next to the thing!

I have A berg Ht 322 and love it, now I'm looking for a 2x12 berg...

Quote Originally Posted by derecola View Post
    I have A berg Ht 322 and love it, now I'm looking for a 2x12 berg...
    When my little Promethean amp I play through every Friday dies, I'm totally replacing it with one of the ultra-light Berg CN112s.