Thread: FBBC2013 - questions, discussion, ...

Default FBBC2013 - questions, discussion, ...

This is a question for my fellow (intended) attendees at FBBC 2013. In particular, I'd like some info/advice from those of you who were at last year's event and I'm sure that the other first timers would also like to know more about what to expect.

I received the package a few weeks back as you all did. I've had a bit of a go at it and hope to get a lot more time to work on it before the event rolls around, but work travel is keeping me away from home and my bass about half of the time from now until then. So, I'm feeling a lot of pressure to make the right decisions about how to prepare. I have only a vague idea of how the days in Nashville will go. Can some of you who participated last year please share with us? Presumably, the more we've worked on the package material the better, but any other information or suggestions would be welcome. (Reassuring me that I won't be humiliated would also be welcome!)

In two weeks I'll be in Ireland working with 19 other people to make a big pile of wood look like a stone wall. (See http://www.culturefox.ie/event/impro...all/16767.aspx) I need to get some more preparation for FBBC done before that!

Hi, Art

WHATEVER YOU DO!!!!! don't be stressed. The point of FBBC is to have a good time while you're learning. The package you got is in response to the request from a number of last year's Campers that having their music beforehand would have made the classroom sessions flow more easily. You only need to familiarize yourself with the songs that reflect your skill level - and you don't need to memorize anything. Here's a link to the FBBC section (no longer on the website) of TMBG giving the day-by-day agenda for the Camp. http://teachmebassguitar.com/basscamp1.phpThe first night has been replaced by a concert/dinner/meet-and-greet at the Rutledge, but otherwise everything is as outlined. Upon arrival at Opryland Hotel, you'll be receiving a printed booklet with maps, schedules, itineraries, etc.

Hope that helps. Enjoy wall building in Ireland, and relax. You're going to have a wonderful time at FBBC!

I've especially been wondering about what to expect at the Rutledge. There are going to be sixteen of us at the FBBC and we are each supposed to pick a song to perform. By my count, there are nine songs in the package so there is going to be some, perhaps a lot of, duplication. Are we going to play our picked songs singly, or are we going to play as a group in the cases where multiple people picked the same song? Is the audience from the general public or are they mostly going to be "friendlies"? Not losing any sleep over any of this, just wondering.

As for preparation, I'm just working on songs. I hope to be up to speed on at least two, and hopefully three, songs to choose from when I get there. I've looked over the course material part of the package but I'm not doing anything with it. I figure that that stuff will all sort itself out during the seminars. Maybe I'll work on some of it if I get the songs down pat.

Hey, I just had an idea! If we all get to perform our songs individually at the Rutledge, we should all pick the same song. Then we could each put $20 in a pool and pick a number for how many times we get through the song before the audience starts throwing things at the stage. We would have to get them to put up one of those chicken-wire cages like in the Blues Brothers movie. Of course, the audience could start throwing things immediately, if I go first.

Two and a half months to go. Can't wait.
    Bass Rx When Feeling Blue:
    I I I I IV IV I I V IV I I
    Repeat As Necessary.

(Minor Variations Allowed)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Hey, I just had an idea! If we all get to perform our songs individually at the Rutledge, we should all pick the same song. Then we could each put $20 in a pool and pick a number for how many times we get through the song before the audience starts throwing things at the stage. We would have to get them to put up one of those chicken-wire cages like in the Blues Brothers movie. Of course, the audience could start throwing things immediately, if I go first.
    Smoke on the Water!!!

- low life -

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    the theme from Rawhide!

Hey guys and gals,
    I was at last years camp and what I can tell you is this: just come prepared to have a great time and learn. There will be all levels of players and I can say not once was anyone made to feel they were inferior to anyone else!!!!!
    You are going to find that everyone is giving and supportive..this means students and the TMBG staff. I remember the rutledge show and I think most of us ended up playing the same song but each had their own take on it which was really cool.
    The band is the best in the business and they made each of us feel we belonged right there with them....
    This is going to be a week you will never forget and you will see very quickly that we are all bass players there to learn and enjoy being bass players!!!!!!!!!
    I look forward to meeting the new folks and seeing old faces as well....till then if you have any more questions feel free to message me and I will help however I can.
    Kevin

Great questions Art! Although I'm not building a wall in Ireland, I will be pretty busy between now and FBBC as well and am stating to feel the pressure.

Shoopdude, thanks for the insight, it's nice to get your perspective. I am really looking for to meeting you all in Nashville!
    Stantonl

www.bassramblings.com

Blogging about Bass!