+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Musicman Sabre Classic

Default Musicman Sabre Classic

So, I mentioned in another thread that I'd tried out one of the new Musicman Sabres recently. I really loved it, and it ended up coming home with me on Sunday.

Our house got broken into on Monday, and luckily they only took my TV and DVD player, despite the fact that all of my basses were sitting in the living room, as well. So, I haven't had time to take many pics, just the one I took as I panicked about not having serial numbers and pics documented on my instruments. I'll have some more pics for you later, but wanted to get one up and pull up a little review.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sabre.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	3170

The color is Mayan Silver, which is a nice metallic silver. The neck is roasted birdseye maple, with a roasted birdseye maple fretboard. The neck is poly'd, which I prefer. 6 bolt bolt-on neck. The neck has an 11" radius, which feels a little flat to me compared to the Ricks, but not a big deal.

The pups are both Alnico humbuckers. The neck pup has 18 pole pieces; the bridge pup has 8. There's a 5-way pup selector, which gives various pup tapping options. I find positions 1, 3 and 5 most useful.

So, how does it sound? It's a really nice fit with my Ricks, as it gives me a totally different sound than I get from the Ricks. It has less sustain than my 4003, but I've yet to meet a bass that sustains like that bass. Even my 4004 doesn't sustain anywhere near as long. No issues with a weak G, that you hear is fairly common with MM basses. It is bold and assertive, with a lovely aggressive sound, especially on the E string. It has much less of the piano tones that are so much a part of the Rick 4003 sound. There are times where those brights are incredible in a song...other times where they're just not wanted. Having this bass in my stable gives me lots of new options!

Once things quiet down a bit, I'll pull together a recording to share.

Wow, talk about your good news mixed with the bad!! So sorry to hear about the burglary. Glad they didn't take the bass.

What a beaut! Love the silver. Can't wait to see more pix and hear her in action.

Does she have a name yet?

- low life -

Quote Originally Posted by Nicki View Post
    So, I mentioned in another thread that I'd tried out one of the new Musicman Sabres recently. I really loved it, and it ended up coming home with me on Sunday.

Our house got broken into on Monday, and luckily they only took my TV and DVD player, despite the fact that all of my basses were sitting in the living room, as well. So, I haven't had time to take many pics, just the one I took as I panicked about not having serial numbers and pics documented on my instruments. I'll have some more pics for you later, but wanted to get one up and pull up a little review.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sabre.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	3170

The color is Mayan Silver, which is a nice metallic silver. The neck is roasted birdseye maple, with a roasted birdseye maple fretboard. The neck is poly'd, which I prefer. 6 bolt bolt-on neck. The neck has an 11" radius, which feels a little flat to me compared to the Ricks, but not a big deal.

The pups are both Alnico humbuckers. The neck pup has 18 pole pieces; the bridge pup has 8. There's a 5-way pup selector, which gives various pup tapping options. I find positions 1, 3 and 5 most useful.

So, how does it sound? It's a really nice fit with my Ricks, as it gives me a totally different sound than I get from the Ricks. It has less sustain than my 4003, but I've yet to meet a bass that sustains like that bass. Even my 4004 doesn't sustain anywhere near as long. No issues with a weak G, that you hear is fairly common with MM basses. It is bold and assertive, with a lovely aggressive sound, especially on the E string. It has much less of the piano tones that are so much a part of the Rick 4003 sound. There are times where those brights are incredible in a song...other times where they're just not wanted. Having this bass in my stable gives me lots of new options!

Once things quiet down a bit, I'll pull together a recording to share.
    Sweet looking bass!!!! Now if you catch those burglars you can do this to them, but I suggest using the case maybe, but your choice which ever pleases you OK?

Last edited by line6bassman; 07-11-2013 at 09:01 AM.
    GO LOW!!!STAY HIGH!!!ON BASS THAT IS!!!

So no recordings for a bit...found a few more things they took this morning, my good digital camera and my Tascam recorder. Nothing too important, but still sucks. Clearly they were on the lookout for electronics.

Elmeaux - I'm awful at naming things...I'm lucky my pets have names! So no name for my bass yet.

Line6bassman - I haven't seen El Kabong in years! That gave me a chuckle, though. The Sabre is plenty heavy enough to be used as a weapon. It feels like a boat anchor, although it's supposedly 10 pounds, which isn't too bad.

I'm glad you could have something to laugh about because I know that situation is nothing to laugh about. Glad I could make you laugh if only for a minute are two!!! You have a great day!!!

Line6bassman
    GO LOW!!!STAY HIGH!!!ON BASS THAT IS!!!

+ Reply to Thread