Thread: Article: The Pulse

Default Article: The Pulse

- low life -

Before adding new content, I'd like to see better organization for the information that's already here. Please make the site easier for members to navigate and to find things that we are looking for. There's a lot of good information on the site, but it's not easy to find. When I was at bass camp this summer, I heard people say at least two or three times "That's posted on Thunder Row" to someone who hadn't ever seen the posting. What good is it having all of this content if it's so hard to FIND THINGS?

For example, if I click on Bass Lessons, I see a fairly large page including the titles and a bit more information from the last 10 lessons added. If I'm looking for something specific, say Lane's lesson called "Ten Times Perfect", I need to go to each page of 10 lessons until I find it on page 4. But why would I be looking for that lesson if I didn't know it was hidden in the site somewhere? It would be much better if the Bass Lessons page gave some sort of navigational structure - an index or table of contents - to find that lesson. I might, in fact, be looking for something about practice tips, but don't know that "Ten Times Perfect" is about that. Make this more obvious!

The same applies to other regions of the site - in particular, the Resources section. It's just a list of everything in chronological posting order which isn't what we need most of the time.

Speaking of the Resources section, lose the cutesy names! If I'm looking for information about chords in the key of A, I may well miss looking at a posting called "So Here's "A" Big Deal!" or S"A"Y SOmething Nice. Just organize all of those (nice) chord charts in a location within the Resources section with a title like "Fretboard Chord Patterns in All Keys".

Another pet peeve of mine is the use of indirection when posting "Articles". For example, a few minutes ago I clicked on New Posts to see what was new this morning. I saw "Article: The Pulse". Although playful, this isn't a particularly informative title. But, I'm used to playing the game here, so I clicked on that on the New Posts lists to see what it was about. That takes me to a thread which has as it's first entry a pointer that says "You can view the page at ... yadda yadda yadda". So, I click on that. which opens the article in another window. Why should I need to click twice just to find out what "The Pulse" is about. Can't it simply open when I click on it in the New Posts list? I guess the purpose is to separate "Articles" from standard forum posts, but this double clicking business gets annoying after a few months... I don't see any benefit to it.

Obviously, the "Thunder Row Articles" should also be organized better and made easier to access as with the Resources and Bass Lessons sections...

Please put some effort into reorganizing to make it easier for members to find what we want to find rather than just having to wade through stuff in hopes that something will show up with a title that is informative enough to understand what it's about!

I like the "fun" stuff and don't want that to disappear, but the reason we are here is to learn. Please make that easier for us. As it is, if I want to see fretboard diagrams about pentatonic scales, there are LOTS of places to see them that are easily found with google and that's much quicker than wading through Thunder Row.

I'm pretty much OK with things as they are but Art has some good points. I don't know how you do all he's talking about but would be good if you could.
    I only have a small one I would like to see and that would be to be able to like someones
    post if I wanted to here and not have it to Facebook. Have liking it to Face Book by it self.
    That's all I can think about at the moment.

Line6bassmanTR

Excellent, constructive feedback, Art. I have already begun doing this sort of thing when I created a section for album reviews, and by getting all of Roy's supplemental lesson material together. Hopefully, we can do even more in terms of order around here.

Keep 'em coming, Peeps.
    Last edited by Elmeaux; 09-07-2013 at 12:23 PM.

- low life -

Hello folks,

Great input thus far, and I look forward to more of it. FYI, I take full responsibility for the layout of the Row, the tone, and the 'cutesiness', etc., all of which Elmeaux was saddled with when she volunteered to take on the job of editor. Together with Patrick, another volunteer, she's made some excellent changes already, and I know many more will be forthcoming. Thanks, Elmeaux!

Always eager to please, I've started working on the RESOURCES section. The fretboard and chord charts are being re-arranged and re-named for more unity and clarity to the members. So far, they've been re-named, but they are still in disorder, place-wise. Stay tuned.

Clean-up on Aisle 5!!!

howdy

as the new guy here, I haven't been around too much.

Art has valid points, and resource wise, those alone will take a bit of time to address. Thanks very much to Elmeaux and Patrick for volunteering to drain the swamp.

Please take your time, avoid burnout. Job, practice and family life all have a priority. I can hunt around a bit and get familiar with the site. I have a boatload to look at now on DVD without even perusing the forums, but I enjoy the break and interface with others.

Looking forward to the new improved site a bit at a time ;^ )

Just a note to say I'll be getting back to some of these projects over the next couple of weeks. Suggestions are still (and always) welcome!

Do appreciate the real interest in feedback. One does eventually get an idea of how to navigate things, but I have gone back to re read things I've seen before and couldn't find them, so I'd second Art's observations about organization into logical compartments. The consecutive posting order does tend to bury things I'm looking for waaay back there somewhere.

Do appreciate your work already Elmeaux, and with Pat's help, hoping the wealth of valuable information on here becomes more readily accessible.