Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello! I'm Reno. Senior aged bass student trying to Learn.

From one drummer to another: Welcome!

Welcome to the party!

Welcome to Thunder Row, Reno! Age doesn't matter, desire and commitment do.

Enjoy the course. If you run into questions/issues, post 'em up here on the forum, there's lots of folks here with suggestions, and sometimes answers. Roy also drops in periodically when we get stumped.

Welcome! and im an old learner also...as in i didn't start in my youth...im not toooo old but i feel old? LOL im 38 but only started playing a couple years ago. this is a great program! the one thing i will tell you is the lessons are awesome.....but yuo have to be consistent....and use em! LOL i get too caught up in PLAYING songs rather than learning cuz im an A.D.D. Kid and....SQUIRL!!!! ........oh sorry... LOL

welcome aboard!

I think most of us here are past Clearasil so you've come to the right place.

6. Default

You are never too old to learn, I am 58 years old, so some of you seem like pups to me. Lifelong lover of music, played in bands as a drummer in my younger days, but always had a strange obsession with bass guitar since my childhood. Do I wish I had started earlier? Yes, but nothing I can do about that now. The fact that I can read music certainly has made my progress quicker than those without that background, the bass is an instrument that provides a lifetime of pleasure and learning. I look at it this way, did I start later than I wanted or did I decide to play before it was too late.

As the decal on one of my cases says: "Old guys rule. High milage, low maintenance."
    Brian

8. Default

Thanks for the Warm Hello ! It's certainly nice to be welcomed in such comforting tone. I'm a big fan of the McCartney Hoffner tone and trying to reproduce that sound in my playing. I'm currently learning on a Washburn AB90 and an imported oriental J bass.
    The Washburn is just HUGE. It's a semi hollow and almost impossible to find strings for it. So far the only ones I found are from Tomastic.
    I'm wondering if I should stick to the J bass to learn on just because of it's size, even though the tone of feel of the neck is not as nice as the Washburn? Nothing like trying to learn dealing with this dalima Maybe I should learn on both ????

Quote Originally Posted by Reno007 View Post
    I'm wondering if I should stick to the J bass to learn on just because of it's size, even though the tone of feel of the neck is not as nice as the Washburn? Nothing like trying to learn dealing with this dalima Maybe I should learn on both ????
    A really good question.

I have three basses: A Ibanez SR 5 string, an ABG and a short scale Ibanez semi hollow. Since they are three very different instruments and useful for different things, I am trying to learn on all of them. I play one for 4-5 days and then switch. It takes me a bit of time to adjust, especially going between the different scale lengths, but I think (hope) that in the long run I will be further ahead.

Hope this helps.

Brian

I also switch between basses. It helps with your ability to adapt.

- low life -