+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Transitioning Problem

Default Transitioning Problem

Hey all, I'm looking for advice on a problem I'm having.

Well, I'm on lesson 7 and I can say that I've learned a lot. I'm actually creating music on my own, using all of the theory I have learned up until lesson 7. There actually licks, not full bass lines though. The problem I'm having is that once I come up with a lick, I get stuck. I don't know how to get out of that spot on the fingerboard and transition to something else.

Do you mean the actual physical switching of your fingers from one position to the next? Or you are having trouble coming up with the next part in your composition?

- low life -

I'm having trouble coming up with the next part.

The I-IV-V progression is a nice place to start when composing your first music.

http://www.thunderrow.com/showthread...ghlight=triads

http://www.thunderrow.com/showthread...ghlight=triads

- low life -

Good morning, Tay

Composing is not something I do, so I asked my wife, the piano player, if she had suggestions for you. In essence her opinion was that to go on you will probably want to learn more about music. A while ago I downloaded a book from Berklee College of Music. I will send this to Elmeaux for forwarding to you.

If you check the threads here, there are other book recomendations as well.

Wikihow has some ideas (wikihow.com/compose-music) which may help.

If there is a college in your area they may offer courses llive or on line. Berklee College of music has a long list of available courses. To date I have not thought they were within my price range so I can't comment as to the value.

My son the guitar player writes songs, and he always carries a book to note music or lyric ideas as they occur. On occasion I have tried to come up with a line to accompagny him on the beach. For those, I started with the chord chart for the melody and palyed around with the notes to try and get something that fit. (I sucked at it, but as that was before I started the course, I will some day try again).

Other people I have heard of record the ideas on their phones. The recording idea may help if you are playing around with the lick on the bass so you can keep a record of what extensions of the phrases worked and which did not.

When you do get a tune down and written out, but are stuck on the bridge, you can always just send it to Niki. Bridges are her speciality.

I hope that some of the other members, who do write, will forward their thoughts which will be more helpfull.

Brian

howdy

I don't know if the Nashville numbering system would be of help to you. I think it comes up in the later lessons on DVD. I know virtually nothing about it, but the interweb can be your friend. As Elmeaux suggested, basic chord progressions are hard to beat, at least in my shallow end of the pool...ymmv

have fun!

I would think about chord progression options. Some tried and true ones are:
    I-IV-V C-F-G
    I-vi-IV-V C-Am-F-G
    I-vi-ii-V C-Am-F-G
    I-iii-IV-V C-Em-F-G
    I-IV-viidim-iii-vi-ii-V-I C-F-Bdim-Em-Am-Dm-G-C
    These are all in the key of C, so you may need to transpose as needed.
    I also recommend this book:
    http://www.shermusic.com/new/1883217040.shtml
    as well as listening to some of your favorite music to see what they do. I got a bunch of ideas for my tunes from The Beatles, Stanley Clarke, Pat Metheny and Weather Report.

Thank you all for the advice.

+ Reply to Thread