+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Just ordered new strings

Default Just ordered new strings

So i had the itch to get some new strings for my peavey because the ones I have on are heavy gauge, so its like plucking phone poles!

I decided to go a bit different this time and go a bit more bright than i normally would. I ordered a set of the Rotosound Swing bass 66's in the Hybrid guages 40, 60, 80, 100 and then i also got a set of D'Addario XL Balanced Tensions also.

Never played either but they were fairly cheap so figured i would give em a try. I will probably try the D'Addarios on the Peavy first, and maybe hold onto the Roto's for the Jack Cassidy when the Dean Markleys go bad....(which by the way, i hated at first, but im really starting to like em alot!)

anyone have anything nice/bad to say about the D'Addario or Rotos?? just curious

Never used Rotos, but I do like D'Addario Chromes and Flatwounds. They have a super-light gauge Chrome that is really easy on the fingers, without sacrificing depth.

- low life -

thanks Elmeaux, i have a set of D'Addario Half Wounds in REDWOOD gauge! LOL that is what is on my peavy. may try them again though i n smaller guage

I forgot to mention the half wounds, or "ground-round" as I've been known to call them. I like them a lot. All the thumpity-thump of flats with some extra brightness!

- low life -

so i got the strings in the mail and put on a set of the D'Addario XL Balanced tensions on my Peavy Millennium BXP. wow!! they are bright strings but i actually like em alot! i have even been able to get a decent slap tone out of em! and for me, that is saying something LOL

so far, im impressed. they really made that bass sound alot better than the old halfwounds i had on it. rights strings for the right bass i guess?

Still have the Rotosounds which i will probably put on the Jack Cassidy once the Dean Markleys go dead......or i get bored! LOL

Good luck with the new strings, Steve. Video demo...?

- low life -

I've used D'Addario Chromes in the past and liked them. Right now I have D'Addario Tapewounds on both of my main players (Carvin B25 and Ibanez SR 505) which I really like. The Tapewounds are a little brighter than the Chromes, but not nearly as bright as some of the round wounds that I have used (i.e., the Elixirs that came on the SR 505).

Here's a sample of the Tapewounds I recorded last summer at Roy's Fantasy Bass Boot Camp with the Carvin B25:

https://soundcloud.com/tr-daveb/david-brown-mix
    Bass Rx When Feeling Blue:
    I I I I IV IV I I V IV I I
    Repeat As Necessary.

(Minor Variations Allowed)

Sounds fab! At first it wouldn't play, but I finally got it to work. Tapewounds sound good. Your playing sounds even better!!

- low life -

Thanks, Elmeaux. Getting to cut a track with the Urban Legend Band was awesome!
    Bass Rx When Feeling Blue:
    I I I I IV IV I I V IV I I
    Repeat As Necessary.

(Minor Variations Allowed)

+ Reply to Thread