+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trying to understand more about the drum

Default Trying to understand more about the drum

Alright, I hope this is in the right topic, otherwise feel free to move

I've been trying to understand more about the drum. Sure, I know the drum is the most importnant instrument in an band, since it indicates both rhythm and speed. But now to the part were I'm interested in :

I would like to know where each part of the drum ''stands for''... Don't know how to call it, but that's what comes to mind I know most rhythm (and speed of course) is in the kick drum(s), but what about the snare drum and the cymbals?

I want to get as tight as possible with the drum, so any input about this would be very appreciated!!
    Last edited by Thomas Kievit; 11-03-2013 at 01:00 PM.
    Never give up

Don't know if I fully understand the question, but in Lesson 5 of TMBG, there's a small section called PLAYING WITH A DRUMMER - how you should approach the drums from a bassist's POV.

Don't they call it "Playing from the top down"? Anybody else?

- low life -

As a drummer, I know that a lot of bassists like to stand close to the hi-hat or ride cymbals as oftentimes the drummer is playing eighth notes on the hi-hat/cymbals which provides a more frequent reinforcement of the tempo, as opposed to the quarter notes typically played on the kick/snare. That said, the kick usually provides guidance to the bassist as to the rhythm to be played, but as a bassist you can play with or against the kick drum beat depending on the feel of the song. Simple quarter notes on the kick and snare will normally give you more leeway in terms of what you, the bassist, can play. Use your best judgement/ear there.

As a bassist, I find that the drummer in me wants to lock in to the snare to keep solid time and, as mentioned before, use the kick to determine what I can do as far as rhythm.

Great! Thanks for your story.
    Never give up

Check out The Kinky Wizzards. Bass and drum duet band.

- low life -

Wow, those dudes are killing it!

LW Gold Standard 5
    Carvin/Kiesel - Icon5, BB75, PB5, LB70
    Fender - Pbass (DiMarzio Ultra P pickups, Warmoth Jazz neck), American Deluxe PJ, MIJ Walnut Jazz, American Elite Jazz
    Alembic Spoiler
    Rickenbacker 4003s
    Rickenbacker 4001 (1977)
    Spector Euro 4 LX
    Ken Smith BT4
    Musicman Stingray
    Power by Carvin B1000 through Markbass 2x10 Traveler (x2) (MarkBass Nano for practice/small gigs)

Somebody turn up the Bass!

www.engine14.com
    www.facebook.com/engine14band[/SIZE]

For Rock, Country, Blues and any Straight 8th note grooves I listen from the bottom of the drum set up (Bass Drum-Snare-High Hat, etc.) and phrase with the Bass Drum (Kick Drum).
    For Jazz I listen from the top of the drum set down (Ride Cymbal, Snare, Kick) and phrase with that. There's a little segment in one of the lessons on TMBG about that where I demonstrate playing with Bryan Larrance. Check it out.
    I like to stand on the High Hat side of the drum kit. It means I have better eye contact with the drummer-always a good thing!

Good, I will try it out, Roy Thanks.
    Never give up

+ Reply to Thread