+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wirless System

Default Wirless System

Have been looking at the Carvin UXB1000 Wireless System. From what I have read it appears to be a good system has anyone had any experience with this system and will it well with 5 string basses.

Looking at the specs it seems like a fairly high end unit, with capabilities closer to those for a wireless mic transmitter/receiver setup. May be a bit more than actually required for a simple guitar to amp connection. The unit is a bit heavy compared to other guitar wireless setups.

Wireless is useful if you have reason to wander around the stage or off the stage. If you basically stand by your amp, then they don't add anything (except a bit more complexity) and they do consume batteries.

I have 2, Line 6 XDS95 receiver/transmitter units that I use with my basses. They have 5 channels from which to choose, but I have never yet run into a venue where I had to change it from the first one available. Receiver is much smaller and lighter and the transmitter runs about 40 hours on a single 9v battery. I have wandered up to 100' away from my amp and never experienced a drop out. Signal is basically identical to that from a cable, maybe a very slight amount of high end drop off, but I don't use those frequencies. The XDS95 cost me about $250 each. I use them when I am also running sound during practices/soundchecks. I can wander back to the board and tweak stuff without breaking my stride in the bass. When I am playing and don't need to wander, I use my cable and save the batteries.

Line 6 have since updated their wireless units to the Relay G90, G50 and G30 systems. The mid range G50 is about $450 MSRP. Those who I know that have the XDS series and tried the new ones out, have not felt that the new ones are worth the extra $$.

+ Reply to Thread