+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DR Strings

Default DR Strings

I bought a set of DR Black Beauties recently to put on my Dean Edge. I wanted to practice the various adjustments on that bass so that I know what I am doing when it comes to adjusting the Ibanez.

Now I am almost entirely ignorant when it comes to string construction, and this is where I run into my question. It appears that the strings have multiple outer wrappings over the inner core wire. I found something that appears strange on the D string.

Halfway between where the string makes contact with the saddle and the bridge pickup is where the final outer wrapping begins on just the D string. Is that OK? It seems like that would affect the balance and sound of the string. It seems to stay in tune, but it just doesn't feel right. Does anyone else have experience with these strings and their construction?
    Ibanez SR1200
    Ibanez AFB200
    Carvin MB210

Do you have a pic of the situation? What's the scale of the bass?

- low life -

The wrappings on the DR Black Beauties I have on my Tobias 6 string all continue up to the bridge.

There are strings known as taper core or exposed core, where the wrapping ends before the bridge. In general they tend to have longer sustain than standard strings. They also require adjustment of the saddles to get the correct string height over the pickups. This is because the thickness of the string as it passes over the bridge is less than the thickness of the string over the pickups.
    Normally the exposed/tapered design is only visible on the lower strings B. E and A, not the upper strings like the D,G or C.

Sounds like something is wrong. I'd take them back for an exchange, unless they are a taperwound/exposed core string.

DR Longneck strings are taper core strings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1388.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	3635Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1391.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	3636Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1392.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	3637Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1394.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	3638Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1395.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	3639

Here are some pictures, Elmeaux. It is kind of difficult to see the exact problem. I tried to center each picture directly on the point where the final wire wrapping begins. The picture of the entire bridge to pickup area is still centered on the point where the final wire wrapping begins. As for the scale of this bass, I am not 100% sure. But from saddle to nut it is 34", that is the same as the Ibanez SR1200 that DaveB said was a long scale. So I purchased a set of long scale strings.

TobiasMan, I don't see anything on the package about them being a tapered core or exposed core. The only warning inside the box says, "We flatten a small section of the core wire at a spot that should lie past the nut at the top of the fingerboard, and between the tuning machines of your instrument." But even that warning (which is more lengthy than the quote I provided) is only applicable to "Tite-fits, Pure Blues, Alexi Laiho Signatures, Hi-Beam Basses, Marcus Miller Basses, Sunbeam Acoustics and Basses."
    Ibanez SR1200
    Ibanez AFB200
    Carvin MB210

Black Beauties are not tapered/exposed core. I've never seen a BB string that looks like that and I've been using them for years now. The windings should go right over the bridge on Black Beauties.

Looks like a faulty string got into that package.

The flattening they are talking about in the warning refers to the other end of the string (the nut), not at the bridge.

Take them back to the retail place for a replacement.

Something wrong with that................
    GO LOW!!!STAY HIGH!!!ON BASS THAT IS!!!

Yeah, that doesn't look right. Take 'em back. Better yet, take in the bass with the strings ON, so they can see the problem. Or at least your phone or camera with those pictures. Something's definitely wrong.

- low life -

Thanks to everyone for their help. I figured that it had to be defective.

I bought the strings online at 'Bass Strings Online', because my local music store only carries the D'Addario Pro Steel strings. They are fine strings, but I have them on my SR1200, and wanted to get a different sound out of the Dean Edge. I'm not sure what the return policy is at Bass Strings Online, but I will contact them as well as DR corporation itself for replacement/reimbursement.

Merry Christmas, everyone,
    Noel
    Ibanez SR1200
    Ibanez AFB200
    Carvin MB210

I'm sure that DR will make that right if the retailer won't.

I called Bass Strings Online on Monday December 23 morning to lodge my warranty issue with them. I was told that the DR corporation handled their own warranty issues so that they can keep a comprehensive record of what issues arise from their products. I was given an email address at DR and told to call them back if I couldn't get satisfaction.

After hanging up with Bass Strings Online, I went to DR Strings website and got their phone number. I called them up and the girl that answered the phone didn't even ask what was wrong with the string. I offered to send them the pictures, and she simply told me that they would send out a replacement string. I told her that it was a Black Beauty bass string (.070) D string. She took my address and phone number. I received my replacement string in the mail on Thursday.

Now it's true that they were only mailing the string from New Jersey to New York, but considering that Wednesday was Christmas I couldn't be happier with the customer service that I received from both Bass Strings Online or DR Strings.
    Ibanez SR1200
    Ibanez AFB200
    Carvin MB210

+ Reply to Thread