+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DR Strings

Hmmm . . . never an unwanted sound from any DR's I've played on any of my basses. Tried a variety of them and settled on the Black Beauties.

I had a set a couple of years ago. I liked them. No problems with hum. My only complaint was that the coating wore down too quickly under the plucking area. From what I've read, though, DR has improved the coating formula. My Neons haven't worn down yet.
    Last edited by Elmeaux; 06-23-2014 at 02:42 PM.

- low life -

I did some digging and there was an article by Roger Sandowsky in Bass Gear magazine (http://vpub.boyd-printing.com/displa...php?id=1115676) a year or so ago about this very issue. It's not just DRs that suffer the problem. Coated Elixirs, tapewounds...basically any string with a non-conductive coating can cause problems if your bass relies on the strings for part of its grounding.

An interesting read, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicki View Post
    I did some digging and there was an article by Roger Sandowsky in Bass Gear magazine (http://vpub.boyd-printing.com/displa...php?id=1115676) a year or so ago about this very issue. It's not just DRs that suffer the problem. Coated Elixirs, tapewounds...basically any string with a non-conductive coating can cause problems if your bass relies on the strings for part of its grounding.

An interesting read, for sure.
    Good info to have! The only problem is how do you know in advance? Are they going to let you return the strings?

- low life -

Quote Originally Posted by Elmeaux View Post
    Good info to have! The only problem is how do you know in advance? Are they going to let you return the strings?
    Yeah, I have no idea how you'd know if you were going to have a problem or not. I don't plan on returning the strings, as I like what they're doing for the Sabre...if you ignore the hum. I'm going to have my husband shield the electronics cavity and see how that goes.

My Black Beauties just showed up. Cleaned up some slightly protruding frets, polished them, oiled the fretboard, cleaned and waxed the Tobias, strung it up, tuned it up and brand new tone!!!!!

Awesome. Now if I could just figure out how to get L&M to move on the order a bit faster. May have to purchase from as US string vendor and have them shipped next time.

Quote Originally Posted by TobiasMan View Post
    Now if I could just figure out how to get L&M to move on the order a bit faster. May have to purchase from as US string vendor and have them shipped next time.
    You could try asking them to keep them in stock, because you think people would buy them. They would order a few sets and put them on the shelves. If they sold out, they'd order more, knowing they were popular. If they didn't sell, they'd still be there next time you wanted a set.

Good luck with the new sound!

- low life -

Quote Originally Posted by TobiasMan View Post
    My Black Beauties just showed up. Cleaned up some slightly protruding frets, polished them, oiled the fretboard, cleaned and waxed the Tobias, strung it up, tuned it up and brand new tone!!!!!
    Grrrr.....Glad you're enjoying them! Do you find them sticky at all?

I posted on Talkbass about my issues with the Black Beauties, and folks there said that shielding the cavity won't make a difference since it's a grounding problem, not a shielding problem. I bought some Rotosound 55's to put on the Sabre instead. Anyone want some just-installed Black Beauties? LOL.
    Last edited by Nicki; 07-01-2014 at 07:09 AM.

I love my DR multi color strings after I got adjusted to them and I use fast fret, kinda slick... Get it slick? Slick?
    OK.. FORGET ABOUT IT....!
    GO LOW!!!STAY HIGH!!!ON BASS THAT IS!!!

You can only feel the "sticky" from the windings for a couple hours. I installed them on Monday and warmed up on them then. Played them at practice last night. Feelin' good and sounding great!

+ Reply to Thread