• The Citron AE5 Swallow Custom Bass

3 33.33%
  • The Stonelake Water Bass

6 66.67%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Skin DEEP 2014 - The Beginning

Default Skin DEEP 2014 - The Beginning

Blaring Horn!!

With fanfare and flourish, we begin the new year with a fresh series of Skin DEEP, the game of OUTER beauty. Here's where we honour the people who design the actual appearance of the bass guitar. Colours, shapes, trims, inlays, headstocks - it's all about LOOKS here.

All Thunder Row members are welcome to vote! Every week, two basses will go toe-to-toe, head-to-head, and even body-to-body to decide which bass has more to offer the voter in terms of looks. No brand loyalty here, no focus on playability, price, or prestige. Here, we vote only on beauty!

The winner of each round will move on to the next week to face a new challenger. Any bass that wins five rounds in a row retires undefeated and gets to relax until the Medal Rounds, later in the series. When a bass retires undefeated, we feature two NEW challengers the following week.

Our first series features two delightfully unique basses. First up is the Harvey Citron AE5 Swallow Acoustic/Electric Bass (Custom model)

She's a true 5-string beauty!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Swallow 01.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	3668

34" scale
    24 frets
    2½” body
    Neck and body are Mahogany
    X-braced Spruce top

Name:	Swallow 02.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	3667

Rosewood fretboard
    Adjustable Rosewood bridge with bone saddles
    Dark top with a natural finish on back

More info and pix on the Citron Website, HERE.

Climbing into the ring to face the AE5 Swallow is the beautiful Stonelake 5-Rings Series Water Bass.

Name:	Water 01.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	3666

With her gorgeous Ocean Blue finish, the Water bass features...

A handcrafted maple top with kalantas body
    34” scale
    24 frets
    Maple neck (neck-thru)

Name:	Water 02.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	3665

Ebony fingerboard
    12th fret SLG Water custom inlay and dot inlays on the side of the neck
    Control knobs: Black metal dome

More info and pix on the Stonelake Website HERE, and pix on their Picassa Page HERE.

And so, without further ado, let's get down to the business of voting! Choose the bass with the prettier face!

The polls are open NOW!
    Last edited by Elmeaux; 01-12-2014 at 10:27 PM.

- low life -

Citron for me! There's a lot of history with Harvey Citron going all the way back to Vielette-Citron Basses in the 70s.

We actually featured a Veillette bass in one of our previous Skin DEEP contests. Gorgeous ax!

- low life -

Going with the Water Bass. That blue is gorgeous!!!
    Always remember to enjoy where you're at on the way to where you're going!!!

From a looks standpoint, I really don't like either one. The Swallow has a really clunky shape, and the Water Bass has one of the ugliest headstocks I've seen in a while. I guess if I had to pick one, it'd be the Water Bass.

And the Citron has fallen behind the Stonelake! Come on, voters. Let's get busy!

- low life -

+ Reply to Thread