10. This poll is closed
  • The Guild M-85 Bass

4 40.00%
  • The Todd Tomlin 5-String Bass

6 60.00%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Skin DEEP 2014 - A Gorgeous Guild

Default Skin DEEP 2014 - A Gorgeous Guild

We had reached the end of this week's contest with a 6-6 tie, so I have exercised an Executive Order, which allows me to break the tie so the game can advance. For those who aren't familiar, I do NOT normally vote in the game, but I will if we can't break the tie.

That being said, I cast my vote for the Guild M-85 Bass, sending the Makassar Siddharta N4 Bass on her merry way into the land of the non-champions. This has been an interesting series so far, in that NO BASS has yet to win two rounds! Remember the rules...

Skin DEEP is a game of OUTER beauty. Here's where we honour the people who design the actual appearance of the bass guitar. Colours, shapes, trims, inlays, headstocks - it's all about LOOKS here.

All Thunder Row members are welcome to vote! Every week, two basses will go toe-to-toe, head-to-head, and even body-to-body to decide which bass has more to offer the voter in terms of looks. No brand loyalty here, no focus on playability, price, or prestige. Here, we vote only on beauty!

The winner of each round will move on to the next week to face a new challenger. Any bass that wins five rounds in a row retires undefeated and gets to relax until the Medal Rounds, later in the series. When a bass retires undefeated, we feature two NEW challengers the following week.

So, here we go into the new round. Stepping in to face the winning Guild M-85 Bass is the Todd Tomlin 5-String Bass. I found her on the Bestbassgear.com website, so all picture credits go to them!

Body: American Black Walnut and Hard Rock Maple
    Neck: Hard Maple bolt-on
    Fretboard: Pau Ferro
    Scale: 34"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tomlin 01.jpg 
Views:	459 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	3696

Pickups: Soapbar
    Nut: Brass
    Frets: 21 nickel silver frets
    Bridge: Brass

Name:	Tomlin 02.jpg 
Views:	357 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	3693

Finish: Tung oil soak under a polymer oil finish
    Neck Finish: Gunstock

Name:	Tomlin 03.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	3694

Lots more pix of this beauty HERE on the BestBassGear.com website.

She's a real looker, for sure, but the beautiful Guild M-85 Bass has that beautiful body binding, streamlined, clean look, and a gorgeous black finish! And don't forget the nostalgia of being the cleaned up face of the original Guild!

Name:	Guild 01.jpg 
Views:	392 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	3690

Name:	Guild 02.jpg 
Views:	505 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	3691

More info on the M-85 HERE.

So what's it gonna be, Thunder Row! Let the games BEGIN!!

- low life -

Going with the Tomlin, love the finish on her!!!
    Always remember to enjoy where you're at on the way to where you're going!!!

I could get past the shape of the Tomlin, but the industrial looking plate undet the knobs leaves me cold. I guess that leaves the Guild as getting my vote.

Brian

The headstock shape is the only thing I like sorta about the Tomlin. Guild for me again.

Guild wasn't my choice last week, but this week, it's the better of the two. Like Brian, I find the strangely "out of character" pick guard bit just jars too much on the challenger.

i like the wood. but i do not like the horn .well you can always but a better scratch plat on .i like the Guild the finish is really fine but the bass is just a little plane for me so the wood wins out.Tomlin
    Let's Play Bass!

7. Default

The Tomlin looks new and innovative in a space age retro kind of way. The Guild leaves me cold. It looks like another attempt at a Les Paul copy as far as the body shape goes.

Thee new round will be up this evening! I'm a bit busy - just putting the finishing touches on this month's album review!

I'm so behind my schedule! Ack!

- low life -

+ Reply to Thread