+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strap Locks

Default Strap Locks

I have a set of Schaller strap locks on my Ibanez. Obviously there is one lock down near the bridge, and one up near the neck. With the neck side strap lock, it keeps coming loose. It is a slow process over several weeks, but I have to keep re-tightening the screw. I already have the larger of the two screw sizes that came with the locks installed. The hole itself is slowly becoming stripped making it harder and harder to tighten.

I have two ideas to fix this. First idea: Put a couple drops of wood glue into the hole, allow it to dry for a couple days and then reinsert the screw. Second idea: Put a little wood putty into the hole, allow it to dry for a few days and then reinsert the screw. However, I don't want to do anything before I get some advice from people that know far more about bass maintenance than I do.
    Ibanez SR1200
    Ibanez AFB200
    Carvin MB210

A common fix for this problem is to insert a wooden toothpick (just shorter in length as the depth of the hole) and a dab of wood glue, then re-screw the lock.
    "There is no such thing as a bad note, just a bad resolution." - Damian Erskine

Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass 70's
    Ibanez SR4XXV
    Fender Select Precision Bass
    Markbass Little Mark Tube 800
    Markbass New York 122 cabinet
    Pigtronix Philosopher Bass Compressor
    Sonic Research Turbo Tuner ST-200
    Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus
    The Mini Bone pedalboard by Gator
    Monster Bass cables

Glue by itself will eventually crack and release the screw.

You need to rebuild the wood in order to hold the screw. Get some good carpenter's glue and a few toothpicks. Apply glue to all sides of a toothpick and insert it into the screw hole. Glue up another one and keep inserting them until the hole is full and you cannot insert another toothpick. Tap the exposed end with a small hammer until they are well seated. Let them dry and then cut off any wood that extends past the body with a razor blade or a fine sawblade. You have now filled the void with 99% wood, which will be able to hold grip the threads on the screw much better than glue alone. Reinstall the strap lock with the smaller screw and you'll probably be good for as long as you own the bass.

You're not flinging your bass around your head on the straps are ya? If so, you're on your own.

Have not experienced this problem myself. I use Dunlop strap locks. Here is a link to a discussion thread on TalKBass about this problem. The consensus seems to be that a toothpick and a little Elmer's glue should fix the problem.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f18/sc...e-pins-945044/

Also, Lane Baldwin (AKA Lane On Bass) did a video regarding this problem. You can see it here:

http://basslessonshq.com/about-gear/...-modification/

Hope this helps.
    Bass Rx When Feeling Blue:
    I I I I IV IV I I V IV I I
    Repeat As Necessary.

(Minor Variations Allowed)

TM is the man with the plan....

i might suggest cutting the toothpicks to length before you glue them though - they can be slightly shorter than the depth of the hole, it won't matter - and apply the glue directly into the reducing diameter hole as you insert the toothpicks (obviously controlling the amount of glue).

That way, things are less gluey and messy and you don't risk damaging your beautiful Ibanez's finish by cutting them down.

If you do need to tap the last ones in, use a small diameter steel rod as a punch, one that fits in the hole.

Good luck!
    Last edited by PaulUK; 02-13-2014 at 01:09 PM.
    Shine on you crazy diamond.....

I have a slightly different take on this. I'm a woodworker and do a lot of repairs on various things. I would NOT completely fill the hole. My approach is to glue a single toothpick into the hole. The idea is to tighten up the fit, not to completely fill it. If it's extremely sloppy, you might add two toothpicks. If you completely fill the hole and rely on the screw to do it's thing into the now "solid" material, it will compress the wood around it which could cause the surrounding wood to split. This is much worse than having a loose strap pin/lock! If you DO choose to fill it completely, then be sure to drill a pilot hole for the screw. The hole should be about the diameter of the solid material of the screw (ignoring the threads) if that makes sense. That way, the threads bite into solid wood but the solid center of the screw is just going into the hole. The threads are doing the work which is their job. Doing this, there's a lot less wood being compressed and less tension placed on the surrounding wood. (In fact, you want to do this in most woods if you are installing screws into fresh wood.)

Spoiler alert. I'm currently constructing a bass (body and neck supplied by Warmoth) and will be drilling PILOT HOLES for my strap locks in the next couple of days. Details in a few weeks...

I plead cultural differences.....

I'm afraid I assumed nobody would try to screw one of these:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thCAIZ185R.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	8.1 KB 
ID:	3712

into a piece of wood without drilling a suitable pilot hole!

A pilot hole is an absolute must.

Good save Art!!
    Shine on you crazy diamond.....

Thanks to everyone for the great ideas. I never even considered using toothpicks to rebuild the hole. However, even if I went with glue or wood putty, I would NEVER have re-inserted the screws without a pilot hole.

@TobiasMan, As 'The Simpsons' taught me, the first step to being a rock star is being able to play a flaming guitar with your teeth! And TV has never let me down before.
    Ibanez SR1200
    Ibanez AFB200
    Carvin MB210

HI Noel.

I had the same problem with an Ibanez semi hollow about 6 months ago. I, havng to agree with Arlene after all these years, am a bit of a slob. Consequently, I tried 2 toothpicks, cut a tiny bit short, and no glue at all. I reinserted the same screw, and the strap pin has remained tight ever since.

I was working on the theory that if the minimalist approach did not succed first, I could always go the full TM route at a later date.

Good luck.

Brian

Toothpick wood is normally softer than the body of a bass and they will compress a fair amount without putting pressure on the body wood (try denting a toothpick with your fingernail compared to a piece of ash for comparison).

But, that being said, I assumed that drilling a properly sized pilot hole would have been understood.

+ Reply to Thread