Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thinking About Upgrading

"OLD GUYS WITH MONEY TO BURN" <----------------------- I guess that means me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NEW MESA STRATEGY 8 88.JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	3718

Every thing is a matter of opinion. Go out and see some live shows and look what the bass player is playing. I was going to go Ampeg before I chose MESA. I also like that fact that MESA is 100% built in the United States, and that was important to me. As far as tubes vs solid state. A Tube amps have a wider range of tone then a solid state ones, also a 100W Tube amp won't clip or cut out when you drive it at 100W like solid state amps do when you drive them close to max output. My big gig every year is on 4th of July and is outside, so I need the head room and big speakers. Again like was typed, go out and listen to what you have available and buy what meets your needs. I just love my MESA, but I guess I just have money to burn...........
    Last edited by Ditto; 02-17-2014 at 12:34 AM.
    Nothing like a Great Bottom end!

Hi Noel.

If your practice space is small, although 12*20 is a good size, you may want to stay away from the 15" driver. I read somewhere that to hear the amp properly, you should be at least a foot away for each inch of diameter. Further it the sound may actually be louder for your neighbours than yourself as the wavelength of your low E is >27 feet, and the low B is 36.6 feet. She who must be obeyed keeps reminding me of this.

Good luck with the search.

Brian
    Last edited by brian_primrose; 02-17-2014 at 07:03 AM.

... and make sure to keep us posted on your choice.

Me? I'm still rrrrrumbling.

- low life -

@ Ditto: Yeah, I fell in love with the Mesa 30watt drop top before the $2800 price tag caused me to have a minor stroke!!!

@ Brian: I'm not arguing with your post, but do you remember where you heard that the amp should be 1 foot away for each inch of the speaker? Because if that is accurate, maybe I would be better off looking at a 2x8 or 2x10 configuration. That way I can be about in the middle of the room instead of out against the far wall.

@ Tobias: I went to the Eden site yesterday and also saw a few videos of them being played. They were impressive but quickly climbed out of my price range.

I found a flaw (for me) in the Carvin amps. There is no "auxiliary input" so that I can't plug in my MP3 player. And I have always recorded the TMBG songs and play them through my amp and jam along. Without having a way to correct this, I don't know if the Carvin is right for my needs. Any ideas on how to circumvent this problem?

UGH! All I want is an affordable amp that has every possible feature and makes me sound like a god. Is that too much to ask for?!?
    Ibanez SR1200
    Ibanez AFB200
    Carvin MB210

I didn't notice this amp mentioned yet and I hadn't thought of it until you talked about an auxiliary input but have you looked at Roland? I don't have any experience with this particular amp but my first guitar amp was a Cube 30x which I really enjoyed.
    "There is no such thing as a bad note, just a bad resolution." - Damian Erskine

Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass 70's
    Ibanez SR4XXV
    Fender Select Precision Bass
    Markbass Little Mark Tube 800
    Markbass New York 122 cabinet
    Pigtronix Philosopher Bass Compressor
    Sonic Research Turbo Tuner ST-200
    Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus
    The Mini Bone pedalboard by Gator
    Monster Bass cables

I used to have a Roland. Fantastic amp! I'd buy one again in a heartbeat, were I richer!

- low life -

Alright, I am getting the field narrowed down. I think that I am going to get one of these 4 amps:
    http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/MB12
    http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/MB210
    http://www.eden-electronics.com/prod...ries/ec28.aspx
    http://www.fender.com/amps/bass-ampl...and-horn-120v/

To make up my mind, I still need a little help. When I bought my Behringer amp, the salesman told me that an 8" speaker with a bass doesn't really provide very good sound reproduction. Is that true? If it is true, does that apply to just one 8" speaker, or would a 2x8 just provide me with twice the poor sound quality?

In case you can't tell, I am leaning towards the Eden. It sounded good in the YouTube video that I saw. Right now, the amp in second place is the Fender. They are many recordings and reviews of the Fender 350 on YouTube and it sounds good to me. I'm just worried that the 350 watts (more than 7x the power I currently have) will be far too much in this space. The Eden's 180 watts is "just" 4x my current power. The Carvins are on the outside, but still possible, right now because of their inability to plug and play my MP3. Although if anybody has ideas on how to get my MP3 and the bass into them at the same time then they are right back in play.

So there it is, can I actually get faithful sound reproduction through a 2x8 setup? Or am I better off getting the 2x10 of the Fender and just not turning it up very far?
    Ibanez SR1200
    Ibanez AFB200
    Carvin MB210

That Rumble 350 will reveal to you all the weaknesses of your house. Every time you play, supports will squeak and shake, plaster will crumble, wiring bundles will buzz, nails will loosen, and the filaments in light bulbs will pop. Of course, any of those amps will probably do the same.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Batten down the hatches once you've made your choice!!

- low life -

If the cabinet is well designed and the speakers are long throw, 8" speakers will do just fine - maybe not for a 5 or 6 string with a low B.

Two 8's will give more speaker area than a single 10" cab and with similar sensitivity, will be louder than a single 10". Eden cabs and amps are known for their headroom, handling transient peaks well above the rated levels.

Don't know what the frequency range is for the new combos. Eden used to always include the cab's sensitivity (how much volume you get at 1 meter distance with 1 watt of power) and the response range. It is there for all the D cabs, but I don't see it for the E combos.

@ Elmeaux: lol, even though I am sure that you are serious. I'm halfway tempted to get the Fender just to see how solid this place is. It was built during the Johnson administration. About 10 months ago my (former) neighbor to the left burned herself to death about 3 feet behind my head as I watched tv. (For the record, drinking, smoking, and a tank of oxygen do NOT mix well). I didn't even realize there was a real fire until my apartment filled with smoke and the flood of water came pouring into here.

Also for the record, the water from the fire was about six inches deep in my living room. The Behringer amp did NOT stay dry as it sat plugged in with the power outlet completely submerged behind it. And the amp was sitting in the deepest water that was in my apartment. I gave the amp about a week to dry out before plugging it back in, and it sounded the same as it did before getting wet. They are built solid.

Anyway, I probably better stay away from too much power. It won't be much fun if I always have to wear headphones.
    Ibanez SR1200
    Ibanez AFB200
    Carvin MB210